What are paraphilias?
Group of disorders characterized by sexual arousal to objects, situations and individuals that are not deemed socially acceptable and cause significant distress/functional impairment to the patient
What is the difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia?
Pedophilia = prepubescent
Ephebophilia = pubescent - 18yo
What parts of the hx in a patient c/o erectile dysfunction decreases the likelihood that the complaint is d/t somatic factors?
(1) morning erection, (2) erections during masturbation
What is the effect of antipsychotic medication on sexual function?
Antidopaminergic effects increase circulating prolactin, resulting in gynecomastia and impaired arousal
Harry Benjamin Standard of Care for Gender Reassignment
Prior to consideration for reassignment:
(1) Letters of recommendation from mental health professionals
(2) Must be >18yo
(3) Must undergo 1 year of hormonal therapy
(4) Successfully live in a cross gender role continuously for one year
What are the disorders of sexual desire?
1. Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder- pt w/ low sexually interest that is distressing to the pt
2. Sexual Aversion Disorder - pt w/ absent sexual desire that is distressing to the pt
*Tx = psychotherapy