5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What enzyme is released by the stomach to digest protein?
B) Lipoprotein lipase
- Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density.
- The basic structure of an amino acid is C carbon atom with four different elements/groups bonded to it. The carbon has a hydrogen atom attached, a carboxyl group (acid group), a __________ , and a generic "R" group, which identifies the amino acid.
A) sulfhydryl group
B) hydroxyl group
C) amino group
D) methyl group
- What is meant by the amino acid sequence of a protein?
A) Number of side chains in the protein
B) Order of appearance of amino acids in the peptide chain
C) Order of appearance of only the essential amino acids in the protein
D) Folding arrangement of the peptide chain
- Proteins regulate the acid-base balance of the blood by
A) releasing an acid.
B) binding sodium ions.
C) releasing nitrogen.
D) acting as buffers
- a D - acting as buffers
- b B
- c C - pepsin
- d A
- e C - amino group
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- D - 0.8
- D - alanine
5 True/False Questions
When protein consumption is in excess of body needs and energy needs are met, the excess amino acids are metabolized and the energy in the molecule is
A) stored as glycogen and/or fat.
B) stored as amino acids in the liver.
C) excreted in the urine.
D) stored as amino acids in muscle. → C - milk
High protein diets may be harmful for
A) the elderly.
C) body builders.
D) those with kidney disease. → D - those with kidney disease
Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins. → incomplete
Approximately how many different amino acids are used in the synthesis of body proteins?
D) 20 → D - 20
Which of the following is not true about pepsin?
A) Acid activates pepsin.
B) Pepsin works best in an alkaline environment.
C) Pepsin acts on food in the stomach.
D) Amino acid chains are the digestive products of its action. → A