5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- _______________ is an important protein that acts as a hormone. It is produced by the beta cells of the pancreas.
- Wilma is an alcoholic. Her liver has been damaged to such a degree that it cannot produce the appropriate blood proteins for fluid balance. She develops a condition called edema, which is
A) cardiovascular disease.
B) extreme thirst.
C) loss of muscle mass.
D) the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces.
- Approximately how many different amino acids are used in the synthesis of body proteins?
- Which of the following is a food that provides adequate amounts all of the essential amino acids?
A) Peanut butter
B) Navy beans
- The basic structure of an amino acid is C carbon atom with four different elements/groups bonded to it. The carbon has a hydrogen atom attached, a carboxyl group (acid group), a __________ , and a generic "R" group, which identifies the amino acid.
A) sulfhydryl group
B) hydroxyl group
C) amino group
D) methyl group
- a D - the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces
- b C - milk
- c insulin
- d C - amino group
- e D - 20
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- C - it provides 7 kcal/g of energy
- C - the size of his vital organs
- D - those with kidney disease
- D - 0.8
5 True/False Questions
Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins. → incomplete
Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density. → B
Proteins regulate the acid-base balance of the blood by
A) releasing an acid.
B) binding sodium ions.
C) releasing nitrogen.
D) acting as buffers → D - acting as buffers
The most reliable source of vitamin B12 for the vegan would be
A) fortified soybean milk.
D) eggs. → A
Jack weighs 176 pounds. What would be his RDA for protein?
A) 27 grams
B) 64 grams
C) 80 grams
D) 10 grams → B