5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Treating a protein with acid, heat, or agitation will cause _______________, meaning that the three-dimensional structure of the protein has been altered (it unfolds).
- Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density.
- What enzyme is released by the stomach to digest protein?
B) Lipoprotein lipase
- Which of the following is not true about pepsin?
A) Acid activates pepsin.
B) Pepsin works best in an alkaline environment.
C) Pepsin acts on food in the stomach.
D) Amino acid chains are the digestive products of its action.
- Approximately how many different amino acids are used in the synthesis of body proteins?
- a B
- b Denaturation
- c A
- d C - pepsin
- e D - 20
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- D - the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces
- C - milk
5 True/False Questions
_______________ is an important protein that acts as a hormone. It is produced by the beta cells of the pancreas. → peptide
Proteins are digested in which areas of the body?
A) Small and large intestines
B) Mouth and stomach
C) Stomach and small intestine
D) Mouth and small intestine → C - Stomach and small intestine
The basic structure of an amino acid is C carbon atom with four different elements/groups bonded to it. The carbon has a hydrogen atom attached, a carboxyl group (acid group), a __________ , and a generic "R" group, which identifies the amino acid.
A) sulfhydryl group
B) hydroxyl group
C) amino group
D) methyl group → C - amino group
The nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is
A) oxidized to carbohydrate.
B) converted to urea.
C) stored in the liver.
D) converted to fat. → B
Jack weighs 176 pounds. What would be his RDA for protein?
A) 27 grams
B) 64 grams
C) 80 grams
D) 10 grams → C - pepsin