5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Richard Nixon
- Ho Chi Minh Trail
- a Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries; international cartel that inflates price of oil by limiting supply; Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and UAE are prominent members. Caused by US's support of Israel.
- b 1972; Nixon feared loss so he approved the Commission to Re-Elect the President to spy on and espionage the Democrats. A security gaurd foiled an attempt to bug the Democratic National Committe Headquarters, exposing the scandal. Seemingly contained, after the election Nixon was impeached and stepped down.
- c he was elected to be US President after Johnson decided to not to run for US president again. He promised peace with honor in Vietnam which means withdrawing American soliders from South Vietnam
- d was a political scandal in the United States which came to light in November 1986, during the Reagan administration, in which senior U.S. figures, including President Ronald Reagan, agreed to facilitate the sale of arms to Iran, the subject of an arms embargo. At least some U.S. officials also hoped that the arms sales would secure the release of hostages and allow U.S. intelligence agencies to fund Nicaraguan rebels.
- e A network of jungle paths winding from North Vietnam through Laos and Cambodia into South Vietnam, used as a military route by North Vietnam to supply the Vietcong during the Vietnam War.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Also known as the Chicano movement. This group wanted rights and were influenced by the women's movement. They wanted equal treatment. And higher paying jobs. Ceasar Chavez one of the leaders.
- the second treaty between the United States and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics resulting from the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks. Limited nuclear weapons.
- 1981-1989,"Great Communicator" Republican, conservative economic policies, replaced liberal Democrats in upper house with consevative Democrats or "boll weevils" , at reelection time, jesse jackson first black presdiential candidate, Geraldine Ferraro as VP running mate (first woman)
- 1968, in which American troops had brutally massacred innocent women and children in the village of My Lai, also led to more opposition to the war.
- was a Vietnamese communist that pushed for an independent Vietnam. He helped rid his country of the French, drawing the U.S into the conflict., Vietnamese communist statesman who fought the Japanese in World War II and the French until 1954 and South vietnam until 1975 (1890-1969) Originally named Nguygen That Than.
5 True/False Questions
Women's Movement → Lived on reservations, were very poor, ridiculously high unemplyment rate. They formed AIM, occupied places to get attention. Occupied Wounded Knee reservation to get the government to investigate corrupt tribal government.
Star Wars → Strategic Defense Initiative pursued by Reagan in the 1980s; involved satellite defense against missiles.
Tet Offensive → 1968; National Liberation Front and North Vietnamese forces launched a huge attack on the Vietnamese New Year (Tet), which was defeated after a month of fighting and many thousands of casualties; major defeat for communism, but Americans reacted sharply, with declining approval of LBJ and more anti-war sentiment
Doves and Hawks → Strategic Defense Initiative pursued by Reagan in the 1980s; involved satellite defense against missiles.
Détente → 1972; Nixon feared loss so he approved the Commission to Re-Elect the President to spy on and espionage the Democrats. A security gaurd foiled an attempt to bug the Democratic National Committe Headquarters, exposing the scandal. Seemingly contained, after the election Nixon was impeached and stepped down.