5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Napoleon Chagnon's visit to the Yanomamö tribe, where he observed tribe members appearing naked in public, using hallucinogenic drugs, and letting mucus hang from their noses, is a good example of ________.
- Americans usually recognize hard work, education, and material comfort as desired qualities. Where one of these qualities is found, the other two also apply. This is an example of ________.
- The ________ theory developed by Robert Merton is based on the idea that most people want to attain cultural goals, but not everyone has the legitimate means of achieving them.
- True or false: Cultural lag refers to a situation in which elements of nonmaterial culture (such as norms and values) change, but elements of material culture (such as technology) do not.
- Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
- a value cluster
- b These are examples of her ascribed statuses.
- c strain
- d False
- e the cultural relativity of deviance
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- It is his family of orientation.
- intimate early social interaction
- Both the bride and groom are older than at any other time.
5 True/False Questions
Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's? → Their location in the social structure has created the difference between Milo's and Jim's reactions.
True or false: Status provides the guidelines for how we are to act and feel. → False
True or false: By definition, subcultures are a threat to the mainstream culture. → True
True or false: The theory of differential association suggests that people who associate with certain groups receive an "excess of definitions" about either deviance or conformity. → False
True or false: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory. → False