5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- True or False: Because sociology is based on common sense, it is an excellent discipline for students to study who approach the world in a rational, matter-of-fact way.
- In some tribal societies it is highly encouraged for the son or daughter of one tribe to marry the son or daughter of a neighboring or rival tribe to build camaraderie and form an alliance. This pattern of marital behavior is called ________.
- True or false: Culture wars not only identify differences in values and norms, but they may also result in violence and strife among members of the same society.
- In 1906, sociologist William Sumner made the comment, "One's own group is the center of everything, and all others are scaled and rated with reference to it." This statement is most aligned with the concept of ________.
- When young people enter college as resident students, they must learn new norms, values, attitudes, and behaviors. This is an example of ________.
- a ethnocentrism
- b exogamy
- c False
- d resocialization
- e True
5 Multiple choice questions
- Stereotypes are the assumptions we make that can become self-fulfilling prophecies.
- functionalist; conflict theorist
5 True/False questions
True or false: The amount of personal space people require is a cultural universal that is consistent from one culture to the next. → False
Sociologists have identified an emerging set of five interrelated values in American society. What are these emerging values? → It reinforces gender roles considered appropriate for one's sex.
A position in society that cuts across other statuses a person holds, such as being a high-ranking Army officer, a college president, or a handicapped Olympian, would be considered that person's ________. → True
True or false: Discrimination can occur without the awareness of both those doing the discriminating and those being discriminated against. → False
The emerging tools and the skills needed to use them, which have a significant impact on social life, are called ________. → new technology