5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- plasma membrane
- cell wall
- a Region in prokaryotic cell where DNA is concentrated, not enclosed by membrane
- b strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape
- c thin outer boundary of a cell composed of a bilayer of phospholipids in which proteins are embedded that regulates the traffic of chemicals between the cell and its surroundings
- d A hollow rod of tubulin protein in the cytoplasm of all eukaryotic cells and in cilia, flagella, and the cytoskeleton.
- e enzyme-filled vesicle in which fatty acids and amino acids are metabolized to hydrogen peroxide that is broken down to harmless products
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 + 0 pattern. An animal cell usually has a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
- membrane-bound sac that buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or the Golgi apparatus, storage structures for food, water, minerals, waste
- protein that moves along either actin filaments or microtubules and translocates organelles
- any spherical or nearly spherical bacteria
5 True/False Questions
vesicle → A sticky layer that surrounds the cell walls of some bacteria, protecting the cell surface and sometimes helping to glue the cell to surfaces.
basal body → A sticky layer that surrounds the cell walls of some bacteria, protecting the cell surface and sometimes helping to glue the cell to surfaces.
rough endoplasmic reticulum → A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface
surface-area-to volume ratio → ratio of a cell's outside area to its internal volume
chloroplast → type of plastid that synthesizes and stores red, yellow, and orange pigments, responsible for colors of many fruits and flowers