5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- endomembrane system
- endoplasmic reticulum
- a A temporary, foot-like extension of a cell, used for locomotion or engulfing food
- b a network of tubular membranes within the cytoplasm of the cell, occurring either with a smooth surface (smooth endoplasmic reticulum) or studded with ribosomes (rough endoplasmic reticulum), involved in the transport of materials.
- c The collection of membranes inside and around a eukaryotic cell, related either through direct physical contact or by the transfer of membranous vesicles; includes the smooth and rough endoplasmic reticulum, the Golgi apparatus, lysosomes, and vacuoles.
- d the region of a cell located inside the cell membrane (in prokaryotes) or between the cell membrane and nucleus (in eukaryotes); contains a gel-like material and cell organelles
- e a functionally specialized substance (especially one that is not a waste) released from a gland or cell by exocytosis
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Photosynthetic, oxygen-producing bacteria (formerly known as blue-green algae).
- small membrane-bound sac that functions in moving products into, out of, and within a cell
- the smallest unit that can perform all life processes; cells are covered by a membrane and contain DNA and cytoplasm
- in eukaryotic cells, the cell organelle that is surrounded by two membranes and that is the site of cellular respiration, which produces ATP
- region of cytoplasmic material that in animal cells contains structures called centrioles
5 True/False Questions
cell envelope → in a prokaryotic cell, the portion composed of the plasma membrane, the cell wall and the gycocalyx
cilium → any spherical or nearly spherical bacteria
leucoplast → Colorless plastids that synthesize and store starches and oils
cell theory → in a prokaryotic cell, the portion composed of the plasma membrane, the cell wall and the gycocalyx
surface-area-to volume ratio → rope-like assemblies of fibrous polypeptides in the cytoskeleton that provide support and strength to cells; A component of the cytoskeleton that includes all filaments intermediate in size between microtubules and microfilaments.