5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- sex pili
- smooth endoplasmic reticulum
- a A hollow rod of tubulin protein in the cytoplasm of all eukaryotic cells and in cilia, flagella, and the cytoskeleton.
- b A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface
- c group of closely related plant organelles that are used for storage of starches, lipids, or pigments; includes chloroplasts, chromoplasts, and amyloplasts (leucoplasts).
- d elongated, hollow appendages that pull 2 cells together prior to DNA transfer from one cell to the other found in bacterium
- e membrane-bound sac that buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or the Golgi apparatus, storage structures for food, water, minerals, waste
5 Multiple choice questions
- strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape
- A eukaryotic cell organelle consisting of a 9 + 0 arrangement of microtubule triplets; may organize the microtubule assembly of a cilium or flagellum; structurally identical to a centriole.
- opening in the nuclear envelope that permits the passage of proteins into the nucleus and ribosomal subunits out of the nucleus
- the smallest unit that can perform all life processes; cells are covered by a membrane and contain DNA and cytoplasm
- any spherical or nearly spherical bacteria
5 True/False questions
chromatin → A threadlike linear strand of DNA and associated proteins in the nucleus of eukaryotic cells that carries the genes and functions in the transmission of hereditary information
lysosome → small particle in the cell on which proteins are assembled; made of RNA and protein
capsule → Infoldings of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion that houses the electon transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
central vacuole → A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 + 0 pattern. An animal cell usually has a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
matrix → an area within a chloroplast that lies between the thylakoid membranes; serves as the site of the Calvin cycle in photosynthesis which involves the synthesis of carbohydrates