5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- actin filament
- intermediate filament
- a group of closely related plant organelles that are used for storage of starches, lipids, or pigments; includes chloroplasts, chromoplasts, and amyloplasts (leucoplasts).
- b rope-like assemblies of fibrous polypeptides in the cytoskeleton that provide support and strength to cells; A component of the cytoskeleton that includes all filaments intermediate in size between microtubules and microfilaments.
- c muscle protein filament in a sarcomere; its movement shortens the sarcomere, yielding muscle contraction. Actin filaments play a role in the movement of the cell and its organelles
- d plasma membrane that folds into the cytoplasm and increases surface area
- e The organelle where ribosomes are made, synthesized and partially assembled, located in the nucleus
5 Multiple choice questions
- membrane-bound sac that buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or the Golgi apparatus, storage structures for food, water, minerals, waste
- A temporary, foot-like extension of a cell, used for locomotion or engulfing food
- in a bacterium, stored nutrients for later use
- Region in prokaryotic cell where DNA is concentrated, not enclosed by membrane
- strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape
5 True/False questions
Golgi apparatus → A stacked portion of the thylakoid membrane in the chloroplast; functions in the light reactions of photosynthesis.
chromosome → A threadlike linear strand of DNA and associated proteins in the nucleus of eukaryotic cells that carries the genes and functions in the transmission of hereditary information
prokaryotic cell → A type of cell with a membrane-enclosed nucleus and membrane-enclosed organelles. Examples of organisms with these cells are protists, plants, fungi, and animals; organisms are in the Eukarya domain
flagellum → a lash-like appendage used for locomotion (e.g., in sperm cells and some bacteria and protozoa)
smooth endoplasmic reticulum → A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface