5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- smooth endoplasmic reticulum
- a A layer of exopolysaccharide fibers on the surface of bacterial cells which may be involved in adherence to a surface. Sometimes a general term for a bacterial capsules; if compact called capsule and if diffuse, called slime layer
- b A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface
- c a lash-like appendage used for locomotion (e.g., in sperm cells and some bacteria and protozoa)
- d a flattened membrane sac inside the chloroplast, used to convert light energy into chemical energy; where the light reactions of photosynthesis occurs
- e aerobic rod-shaped spore-producing bacterium
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- plasma membrane that folds into the cytoplasm and increases surface area
- an area within a chloroplast that lies between the thylakoid membranes; serves as the site of the Calvin cycle in photosynthesis which involves the synthesis of carbohydrates
- a network of tubular membranes within the cytoplasm of the cell, occurring either with a smooth surface (smooth endoplasmic reticulum) or studded with ribosomes (rough endoplasmic reticulum), involved in the transport of materials.
- unstructured semifluid substance that fills the space between cells in connective tissues or inside organelles, the surface area exposed to fluids, such as where the production of energy takes place, in a mitochondrion
- a microscopic network of actin filaments and microtubules in the cytoplasm of many living cells that gives the cell shape and coherence
5 True/False Questions
nucleus → The organelle where ribosomes are made, synthesized and partially assembled, located in the nucleus
nucleolus → The organelle where ribosomes are made, synthesized and partially assembled, located in the nucleus
cyanobacteria → Photosynthetic, oxygen-producing bacteria (formerly known as blue-green algae).
centrosome → A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 + 0 pattern. An animal cell usually has a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
polyribosome → string of ribosomes simultaneously translating regions of the same mRNA strand during protein synthesis