5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Victorian Period
- Reader Response
- a period of time designated by the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901)
- b Novel that deals with the development of a young person, from adolescence to maturity
- c Uses relationship between the era, time, location, economical and societal circumstances, and the artist. Looks at social, economical, and political values expressed in a work.
- d Ridiculously inappropriate or unsuccessful version or attempt at something
- e No interpretation is right or wrong, each individual has a different interpretation (within reason, text limits possibilities),text is not finished until it is read and interpreted
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- experience of objects
- object gets its meaning only through the active use of consciousness
- Focuses on explicating the literary work by using the insight provided by knowledge of the author's life
- narrator we disbelieve because he or she fails to understand all of the implications of the story
- Because of modern psychology, literature is and expression of psychological concerns or development of either the author or the intended audience. Literature reflects the psyche and provides insight into ourselves.
5 True/False Questions
Lyric → brief subjective poem worked strongly by imagination, melody, and emotion, creating a single unified impression
dialectic → the philosophical principle that an idea or event (thesis) creates its opposite (antithesis) and leads to a reconciliation of opposites (synthesis).
Sentimentalism → Overindulgence in emotion, especially the conscious effort to induce emotion in order to enjoy. An optimistic overemphasis of the goodness of humanity.
scansion → Influential type of sociological criticism. Content of a work determines form. All art is political
Formalist → Influential type of sociological criticism. Content of a work determines form. All art is political