5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Social Security Act
- Women's roles during WWII
- nonviolent protest
- a Law passed in 1935 that provides retirement pensions, unemployment insurance, and payments to people with disabilities and to widows and children of male workers who had died.
- b Martin Luther King Jr. thought civil rights would be attained through
- c Alliance of church-based African American organizations formed in 1957 that was dedicated to ending discrimination. It was founded by MLK.
- d They went to work, joined the army and navy, acted as nurses, but they did not do any actual fighting, fly planes, etc.
- e The phrase Guns and Butter refers to whos presidency when he tries to fund both war and social programs through his plans for both Vietnam and the Great Society
5 Multiple choice questions
- Underdogs overcoming obstacles, against all odds, anything that would make people feel happier or anything that emphasized American strength and victory in past and present.
- Though Americans had an overwhelming victory, the fact that the Vietcong were able to organize such an elaborate attack destroyed American support for the war. This was a political and psychological victory for the Vietcong. It's just as Ho Chi Minh said, "You will kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours, but even at those odds, you will lose and I will win."
- After WWII, many Jews moved to Jerusalem/Palestine. This caused conflict in the region. The UN, hoping to flex its muscles and resolve the conflict peacefully split Palestine in two, becoming Palestine and Israel.
- Germany's invasion of Poland (POOOOOOOLANNNNDDDD!) in 1939.
- Was a series of student strikes, protests, pride in ethnic heritage, and efforts to better empower Mexican Americans politically and economically.
5 True/False questions
The Weathermen → Set a precedent because it required that the federal government directly intervene in people's lives. The executive branch also gained more power in the federal government as FDR took on politicians who opposed his reforms. The federal government took more responsibility in protecting the welfare of the average American.
Changes in geography after WWII → Was a domestic terrorist organization that violently opposed the federal government and the war in Vietnam. They went as far as bombing federal buildings to show their level of opposition. Many of them had been part of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), become frustrated with the continued failure and slowness of the movement, and gone on to more violent efforts.
Cuban Missile Crisis (aka Missiles of October) → Ban of discrimination in employment on basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, enforced school desegregation, and equal voting rights.
All had members who became frustrated with nonviolent resistance and decided to turn to violence. → Africa moving up through Italy and in the Pacific
Operation Rolling Thunder → A statement in Truman's speech to Congress, the Soviets/communism weren't mentioned but he did have them in mind.