5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Syllabic Verse
- didactic poetry
- a the representation through language of sense experience
- b poetry having as a primary purpose to teach or preach
- c any wavelike recurrence of motion or sound
- d This is a poetry form..A Pattern is set up and rigorously followed throughout the poem
- e Word choice. The words a poet chooses contributes to the poems effect.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Long ago poets wrote these very long poems. They include heroic figures, a dignified theme, organic unity and an orderly progress of events. Modern long poems do not fall into this category.
- a figure of speech in which human attributes are given to an animal, an object, or concept
- Couplet, Triplet, Quatrain, Terza Rima and Spencerian Sonnet
- Longer than some poems, it is usually a slowly unfolding description of some event and often includes humor. It is easy to read and is usually sequential.
- any way of saying something other than the ordinary way; a way of saying something and meaning another
5 True/False questions
denotation → the basic definition or dictionary meaning of a word
Shakespearean sonnet → a sonnet consisting of an octave rhyming ABBAABBA and of a sestet using any arrangement of two or three additional rhymes, such as CDCDCD or CDECDE
metaphor → Taken as a whole, the stressed/unstressed sounds in a poem are what give a poem its rhythm, which in poetic terms is called this term.
couplet → two successive lines, usually in the same meter, linked by rhyme
satire → a kind of literature that ridicules human folly or vice with the ostensible purpose of bringing about reform or of keeping others from falling into similar folly or vice