5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Epic Poem
- Free Verse
- figure of speech
- syllabic verse
- a Long ago poets wrote these very long poems. They include heroic figures, a dignified theme, organic unity and an orderly progress of events. Modern long poems do not fall into this category.
- b This is a poetry form... There is no external pattern, but there is often an implied of "felt" pattern.
- c any way of saying something other than the ordinary way; a way of saying something and meaning another
- d a pattern set up and rigorously followed through the poem
- e a figure of speech in which human attributes are given to an animal, an object, or concept
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- is the representation of one thing by another thing. A statue is an image. Figurative language is a another word to describe the word_____________
- a sonnet consisting of an octave rhyming ABBAABBA and of a sestet using any arrangement of two or three additional rhymes, such as CDCDCD or CDECDE
- a speech pause occurring within a line
- a device by which the author implies a different meaning from that intended by the speaker in a literary work
- The formality, informality, humor all contribute to the poems effect
5 True/False Questions
satire → a figure of speech in which an explicit comparison is made between two things essentially unlike. (like, as, than)
Types of Rhymes → When things really rhyme we call them this kind of rhyme.
alliteration → the basic definition or dictionary meaning of a word
quatrain → a four-line stanza; a four-line division of a sonnet marked off by its rhyme scheme
tone → the writer's or speaker's attitude toward the subject, the audience, or herself or himself; the emotional coloring, or emotional meaning of a work