5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gloria Martinez
- Raynard Patterson
- Janelle Battle
- Poets of the Harlem Renaissance
- Lupe Algarin
- a Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
- b Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
- c wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
- d has dyslexia, loves the saxaphone
- e is balancing being a single mother with going to school full time
5 Multiple choice questions
- loves to paint, does not want to be stereotyped as by his culture
- music that became popular during the Harlem Renaissance. Performed at the Apollo and Cotton Club.
- is very tall, plays basketball because her father wants her to, loves to paint
- is considered a bully, bad-tempered, her mom died of an overdose
- a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
5 True/False questions
Tyrone Bittings → The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
Themes of literature in the Harlem Renaissance → African-American daily life, discrimination and racism, roots in Africa.
Steve Ericson → wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
Tanisha Scott → considers her beauty a struggle
Leslie Lucas → wants to be considered a "bad boy" but loves the Harlem Renaissance, wants a future