5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Wesley Boone
- Themes of literature in the Harlem Renaissance
- Devon Hope
- Sterling S. Hughes
- Poets of the Harlem Renaissance
- a Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
- b wants to be considered a "bad boy" but loves the Harlem Renaissance, wants a future
- c African-American daily life, discrimination and racism, roots in Africa.
- d very poor, looked at as a preacher man, wants to be a teacher
- e is a very good basketball player, but also likes to read
5 Multiple choice questions
- a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
- wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
- The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
- music that became popular during the Harlem Renaissance. Performed at the Apollo and Cotton Club.
- considers her beauty a struggle
5 True/False questions
Gloria Martinez → is balancing being a single mother with going to school full time
Janelle Battle → wants to be considered a "bad boy" but loves the Harlem Renaissance, wants a future
Steve Ericson → aspires to work on Broadway, but is moving
Diondra Jordan → is very tall, plays basketball because her father wants her to, loves to paint
Decline of the Harlem Renaissance → The Great Depression added economic pressure to organizations that supported the Harlem Renaissance, like the NAACP.