5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Poets of the Harlem Renaissance
- Devon Hope
- Tyrone Bittings
- Diondra Jordan
- Decline of the Harlem Renaissance
- a The Great Depression added economic pressure to organizations that supported the Harlem Renaissance, like the NAACP.
- b Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
- c is a very good basketball player, but also likes to read
- d The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
- e is very tall, plays basketball because her father wants her to, loves to paint
5 Multiple choice questions
- her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
- a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
- has dyslexia, loves the saxaphone
- her parents' divorce has greatly affected her, wants a friend but doesn't trust anyone
- music that became popular during the Harlem Renaissance. Performed at the Apollo and Cotton Club.
5 True/False questions
Chankara Troupe → refuses to be stuck in an abusive cycle, like her sister
Gloria Martinez → wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
Sterling S. Hughes → very poor, looked at as a preacher man, wants to be a teacher
Tanisha Scott → Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
Lupe Algarin → English teacher who inspires his students