5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- recessive allele
- bottleneck effect
- regulatory gene
- neutral variation
- a in a heterozygous individual, the allele that has no noticeable effect on the phenotype
- b genetic drift resulting from a drastic reduction in population size
- c genetic variation that provides no apparent selective advantage for some individuals over others
- d a poisonous component of the outer membrane of certain bacteria that is released only when the bacteria die
- e a gene that codes for a protein, such as a repressor, that controls the transcription
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a reproductive organ that houses and protects the gametes of a plant
- a roundworm, characterized by a pseudocoelom, a cylindrical, wormlike body form, and tough cuticle.
- a clade of protists that includes amoebas and slime molds and is characterized by lobe-shaped psuedopodia
- referring to a type of relationship in which an individual of one sex mates with several of the other
- the parent individuals from which offspring are derived in studies of inheritance;
5 True/False Questions
semiconservative model → type of DNA replication in which the replicated double helix consists of one old strand, derived from the old molecule, and one newly made strand
parasitism → in scientific studies, the search for the least complex explanation for an observed phenomenon
anther → a sac in which pollen grains develop, located at the tip of a flower's stamen
differentiation → a change in the nucleotide sequence of DNA; the ultimate source of genetic diversity.
commensalism → in a mollusc, the outgrowth of the body surface that drapes over the animal. The mantle produces the shell and forms the mantle cavity.