5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- restoration ecology
- recessive allele
- gametic isolation
- incomplete dominance
- landscape ecology
- a in a heterozygous individual, the allele that has no noticeable effect on the phenotype
- b the application of ecological principles to the study of the structure and dynamics of a collection of ecosystems; the study of the biodiversity of interacting ecosystems
- c a type of prezygotic barrier between species; the species remain isolated because male and female gametes of the different species cannot fuse or they die before they unite
- d the use of ecological principles to develop ways to return degraded ecosystems to conditions as similar as possible to their natural, predegraded state
- e a type of inheritance in which the phenotype of a heterozygote (Aa) is intermediate between the phenotypes of the two types of homozygotes (AA and aa)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a member of the green algal group that shares two ultrastructural features with land plants; they are considered the closest relatives of land plants
- a reproductive organ that houses and protects the gametes of a plant
- the amount, or mass, or organic material in an ecosystem
- member of the phylum Chordata, animals that at some point during their development have a dorsal hollow nerve cord, a notochord, pharyngeal slits, and a post-anal tail. These include lancelets, tunicates, and vertebrates.
- animals that drift in aquatic environments
5 True/False Questions
lignin → an aquatic animal characterized by a highly porous body.
lichen → one of two prokaryotic domains of life, the other being Bacteria
keystone species → as defined in the U.S. Endangered Species Act, a species that is in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range
life history → the use of living organisms (often microbes) to perform useful tasks; today, usually involves DNA technology
chelicerate → a lineage of arthropods that includes horseshoe crabs, scorpions, ticks, and spiders.