5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- allopatric speciation
- R plasmid
- a a bacterial plasmid that carries genes for enzymes that destroy particular antibiotics, thus making the bacterium resistant to the antibiotics
- b a chemical or physical agent that interacts with DNA and causes a mutation.
- c in a mollusc, the outgrowth of the body surface that drapes over the animal. The mantle produces the shell and forms the mantle cavity.
- d the formation of a new species as a result of an ancestral population's becoming isolated by a geographic barrier
- e the concept that in certain populations, life history is centered around producing relatively few offspring that have a good chance of survival
5 Multiple choice questions
- the general term for a fungal infection
- a gene that codes for a protein, such as a repressor, that controls the transcription
- a member of the green algal group that shares two ultrastructural features with land plants; they are considered the closest relatives of land plants
- on a tRNA molecule, a specific sequence of three nucleotides that is complimentary to a codon triplet on mRNA.
- an experimental mating of individuals differing at one genetic locus
5 True/False questions
ecological footprint → a method of using multiple constraints, including food, fuel, water, housing, and waste deposits, to estimate the human carrying capacity of the Earth
culture → member of the clade of amniotes that includes including snakes, lizards, turtles, crocodilians, and birds, along with a number of extinct groups such as dinosaurs.
sensitive period → a change in the gene pool of a population due to chance
water mold → a fungus-like protists in the stramenophile clade
taxis → one of a great variety of protists, most of which are unicellular or colonial photosynthetic autotrophs with chloroplasts containing the pigment chlorophyll a; heterotrophic and multicellular protists closely related to unicellular autotrophs are also regarded as this