← Cell Biology Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Factors Necessary for Diffusion
- Rough ER
- How the Scanning Electron Microscope Works
- Smooth ER
- a -It sweeps the object that is being examined iwth a beam of electrons, -electrons are knocked off the specimen or bounce back from the e-beam, -detectors collect these e-and use them to render an image, & -SEM samples are typically coated with a thin layer of gold in a vacuum so they are definitely not alive.
- b the most common form of passive transport, is the movement of a substance from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration
- c Lacks the riboscomes and lacks the ribosomes and is mainly involved in lipid synthesis
- d is studded with small non-membrane bound organelles called ribsomes and is the site of protein synthesis
- e the membrane i spermeable to the substance in question and there is a concentration fradient (a difference in concentration between two areas).
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Anton Von Leuuwenhoek is the first to observe microorganisms including protists and bacteria, will not be seen again for over 100 years.
- June 8, 2010.
- -Larger, -have membrane-bound organelles, -appeared later in the fossil reccord, and -more complex.
- is the movement of water from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration , is the diffusion of water.
- -The TEM is similar to the light microscope except for: -a beam of electrons replace a beam of light, -the glass lenses are replaced by nagnets to bernd the e-beam, and the image is projected onto a TV screen or pohotgraphic plate insead of being viewed with the eye.
5 True/False Questions
Scanning Electron Microscope → -The SEM yields less magnification than a TEM but gives a high-resolution and projects a 3-D image, -3000x magnification, & -2.0 nanometers resolution.
Hypotonic Solution → is a solution where the solute concentration is higher and the water concentration is lower than a cell that is placed into it
Compound Light Microscope → -Most familar type of microscope, -uses light to iluminate the object & lenses & mirrors to bend light to form an image, -can be used to look at living and nonliving things, -maginification limited to 2000x, and resolution 200 nanometers.
Hypertonic solution → is a solution where the solute concentration is higher and the water concentration is lower than a cell that is placed into it
Nuclear envelope → A dark staining body in the nucleus which make the ribosomes