7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- It lies under the skin and is called the hypodermis. Composted of loose connective and adipose tissue. Helps to insulate the body from extreme terperatures and anchors skin to the underlying structures. A few areas have no subcutaneous layer, so the skin anchors directly to the bone.
- occurs when liquid becomes a gas. ie. rub liquid alcohol on the skin. It evaporates and cools the skin.
- the inner layer of the skin The dermis is anchored ot a subcutaneous layer.
- Found in the external auditory canal of the ear. Secretes cerumen or ear wax that repels insects and traps foreign material.
- a skin darkening pigment; stains the surrounding cells, causing them to darken
- sweat glands located in the dermis. Glands secrete sweat, whihc is secreted into a duct tht opens onto th skin s a pore.
6 True/False questions
convection → the loss of heat by air currents moving over the surface of the skin.
cutaneous membrane → The same as the integument. Has 2 layers - epidermis and dermis.
stratum corneum → lies on top of the dermis and has access to rich supply of blood. The cells are continuously dividing, producing millions of cells per day. As they divide, older cells are pushed to the surface of the epithelium. As they move to the top, the cells begin to die and undergo a process of keratinization, whereby tough protein called keratin is deposited within the cell.
stratum germinativum → the surface area of epidermis. Composed of 30 layers of dead, flattened keratinized cells.
integument → the loss of heat by air currents moving over the surface of the skin.
radiation → the loss of heat from a warm body to a cooler object in contact with the warm body.