7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a skin darkening pigment; stains the surrounding cells, causing them to darken
- the mechanism wherby the body balances heat produciton and heat loss.
- associated with hair follicles and found in the axillary and genital areas. Respond to emotional stress and become active when the person is frightened, upset, in pain or sexually excited. They are stimulated by sex hormones and are more active during puberty. Sweat doesn't have a strong odor unless allowed to stay on skin, where it is degraded by bacteria into chemicals and produces BO.
- the most numerous and widely distributed of the sweat glands. Located throughout the body. Numerous on forehead, neck, back, upper lip, palms and soles. Not associated with hair follicles.
- the surface area of epidermis. Composed of 30 layers of dead, flattened keratinized cells.
- a tough protein deposited within the cell. It hardens and flattens the cells as they move toward the outer surface of the skin. It also makes the skin water resistant.
6 True/False questions
epidermis → outer layer of the skin
dermis → outer layer of the skin
cutaneous membrane → The same as the integument. Has 2 layers - epidermis and dermis.
integument → the skin or ctaneous membrane and is considered an organ.
sebaceous gland → sweat glands located in the dermis. Glands secrete sweat, whihc is secreted into a duct tht opens onto th skin s a pore.
evaporation → occurs when liquid becomes a gas. ie. rub liquid alcohol on the skin. It evaporates and cools the skin.