7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- heat is lost from a warm object to the cooler air currounding the warm object.
- the mechanism wherby the body balances heat produciton and heat loss.
- a tough protein deposited within the cell. It hardens and flattens the cells as they move toward the outer surface of the skin. It also makes the skin water resistant.
- the most numerous and widely distributed of the sweat glands. Located throughout the body. Numerous on forehead, neck, back, upper lip, palms and soles. Not associated with hair follicles.
- The same as the integument. Has 2 layers - epidermis and dermis.
- the skin or ctaneous membrane and is considered an organ.
6 True/False questions
apocrine gland → associated with hair follicles and found in the axillary and genital areas. Respond to emotional stress and become active when the person is frightened, upset, in pain or sexually excited. They are stimulated by sex hormones and are more active during puberty. Sweat doesn't have a strong odor unless allowed to stay on skin, where it is degraded by bacteria into chemicals and produces BO.
stratum corneum → the surface area of epidermis. Composed of 30 layers of dead, flattened keratinized cells.
epidermis → the inner layer of the skin The dermis is anchored ot a subcutaneous layer.
convection → the loss of heat from a warm body to a cooler object in contact with the warm body.
evaporation → heat is lost from a warm object to the cooler air currounding the warm object.
conduction → the loss of heat from a warm body to a cooler object in contact with the warm body.