5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- 8. These are the reptile orders that contain currently living reptiles: Rhynchocephalia, Squamata, Crocodilia, Testudines. Classify: lizards
- e. Down feathers
- 20. What is the principal function of underhair?
- 2. State the five characteristics that set reptiles apart from other vertebrates.
- a. Amniotic egg
- a The common characteristics of reptiles are:
Covered with tough, dry scales
Breathe with lungs throughout their lives
Three-chambered heart with a ventricle that is partially divided
Produce amniotic eggs covered with a leathery shell, most oviparous, some ovoviviparous
- b A shelled, water-retaining egg that allows reptile, bird, and certain mammal embryos to develop on land
- c Feathers with smooth barbules but no hooked barbules
- d Underhair's main job is insulation.
- e Squamata
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Specialized organs in mammals that produce milk to nourish the young
- Contour feathers are used for flight, while down feathers are used for insulation.
- The yolk serves as nourishment for the developing embryo. The allantois allows the embryo to breathe, and the albumen destroys pathogens that can enter the egg as well as supplying water and amino acids to the embryo. The albumen also acts as a shock-absorber.
- We usually see the mammal's guard hair, because that's what's on top.
- A bird egg's shell is harder, because it contains lime.
5 True/False Questions
c. Hemotoxin → A poison that attacks the red blood cells and blood vessels, destroying circulation
6. Reptiles have a growth-related characteristic in common with the arthropods. What is it? → The common characteristics are:
Heart with four chambers
Oviparous, laying an amniotic egg that is covered in a lime-containing shell
Covered with feathers.
Skeleton composed of porous, lightweight bones (not a characteristic for all birds)
b. Neurotoxin → A poison that attacks the nervous system, causing blindness, paralysis, or suffocation
22. Name a nonplacental mammal. → A structure that allows an embryo to be nourished with the mother's blood supply
10. Do all birds fly? → No. There are two orders of flightless birds.