← soc # 2 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- "seeing the strange in the
- social marginality.
- kibbutzim (collective settlements):
- operationalizing a variable.
- a gender is considered irrelevant and most
jobs and decisions are shared.
- b a view stigmatizing anyone who is not heterosexual as "queer"
- c Specifying exactly what is to be measured in assigning a value to a variable is called:
- d meant that sociologists: focus on the bizarre elements of society.work to avoid the idea that we live our lives only in terms of what we decide.
- e "outsider"
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- How many major theoretical approaches are there in sociology?
- refers to a person's romantic & emotional attraction to another person.
- The fact that almost 22% of married men and 14% of married women are sexually unfaithful to their spouses is an example of the ______ culture, while the fact that most
adults acknowledge the importance of sexual fidelity, is an example of the ______ culture.
- **Durkheim identified 4 distinct functions of deviance:
1. Deviance affirms cultural values and norms.
2. Responding to deviance clarifies moral boundaries.
3. Responding to deviance promotes social unity.
4. Deviance encourages (and promotes) social change **
- condem pornography as demeaning to women
5 True/False Questions
parole → the behaviour expected of someone who holds a particular status
Symbolic-Interaction Analysis → •Labelling theory
•Primary and secondary deviance.
•Social stigma and degradation ceremonies.
•The medicalization of deviance (re-labelling
of a deviant behavior)
•Hirschi's Control Theory
Sexuality → is very much a cultural and social issue. Almost any sexual practice shows considerable variation from one society to another. (from dating age, spouses, to affairs)
social control → attempts by society to regulate ppls behavior - either FORMAL or INFORMAL
hunting and gathering → For human beings, nurture is our nature.