5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pope Urban 2
- illuminated letters
- Canon Law
- a the organization of people at different ranks in an administrative body
- b the sacred rituals of the Church
- c the Church's own body of laws; this law applied to religious teachings, the behavior of the clergy, and even marriages and morals
- d In The First Crusade he can be seen as one attempt to realize this vision, He was the successor to a legacy of extensive ecclesiastical reform, a legacy unpopular with many powerful people, he tried to reclaim Jerusalem from the Muslims
- e The first letter written in calligraphy that stands out and is fancy
5 Multiple choice questions
- a large estate that included a village. It was the economic unit of the early middle ages.
- # A member of a Germanic people that overran Gaul, Spain, and northern Africa in the fourth and fifth centuries A.D. and sacked Rome in 455.
- manor land that a feudal lord kept for himself
- In finance, the purchase of a financial product or other item of value with an expectation of favorable future returns. In general terms, investment means the use money in the hope of making more money.
- pay a tenth of one's income, especially to the church
5 True/False questions
Edessa → City in Southwest Asia that was promised protection by Baldwin during the First Crusade in return for control of the city after the king, Thoros died
Nationalism → The love of one's country; the passion that inspires a person to serve his or her country.
Trial by battle → an offering of a tenth part of some personal income
Trade Routes → Waterways, paths, and trails that traders used to move goods for exchange from one place to another.
Pope Urban II → Used his papal power to urge lords and knights to become Crusaders to fight the Muslims and regain the Middle East for Christianity; promised: forgiveness for sins, freedom from debt, a choice of fiefs in the lands to be conquered. He started the first crusade to regain Holy Land.