5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Opium Wars
- Unification of Italy
- Concert of Europe
- Cottage vs Factory System
- a the _____ system differed from the __________ system because _______ was in the home and the whole family worked together off of manually powered machines unlike in the factory system families were separated, you work long hours, work off of electrically powered machines and are treated badly.
- b Loose series of European alliances where nations would help one another if a revolution broke out. It didn't stop revoltuions from occurring, but it did stop many nations from fighting each other.
- c Chinese appeal to britians queen to stop the opium trade. The british government does not reply. China searches british ships, throwing opium cargo into the ocean. British declare war 1839. British win
- d Italian nationalist
recruits 1,000 Red Shirt volunteers who conquer Sicily and Napels
gives his won land to Cavour
- e .In 1830s, nationalist leader, Giuseppe Mazzini, founded Young Italy whose goal was to constitute Italy as one free independent, republican nation. In 1860, ally of Mazzini, Giuseppe Garibaldi recruited volunteers and won control of Sicily. Next, Garibaldi turned Naples and Sicily over to Victor Emmanuel. Successors of Count Camillo Cavour acquired Venetia and soon Rome was won back when France had to withdraw its troops during the Franco-Prussian War. Last, Italy becomes a united nation, which it hadn't been since the fall of the Roman Empire. Butt... Young Italy had many problems, too. North and South Italy had many disputes and there was hostility between church and state. When turmoil occurred, the government was forced to extend rights to more men and improve social conditions. However, by 1914, Italy was better off than it had been in 1861.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Bismarck used his policy of "blood and iron" to unite the German states under Prussian rule
- this was based off of being loyal to your country. In ____________ you were supposed to feel a sense of ride and national identity. This was significant because you were supposed to unify and come together. You all have a common enemy and the same religion.
- everyone has a job and live in small communities. They enjoy working and living together. They also share most everything and work hard. This system soon came to an end. (a utopian society). Revolution of the high class - then dictatorship over working class (NO private property)
Phase 1 - revolution, boargeosies vs proletariats
Phase 2 - take control (dictate) of everything
- the belief that people should be as free as possible from government restraint. Based off of equality. They were run by a democracy, but you can still have a king. The people of ____________ were aloud to vote. The significance of this was that they were aloud to have their freedoms, such as freedom of speech, press, to bare arms. Also there was the separation of church and state.
- was the result of a long term struggle between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. The ottoman empire had long controlled most of the Balkans in SE Europe. By 1800, the ottoman empire was in decline and it's authority over the balkin territories weakened. Russia hoped to gain control of this territory in order to become a major super. Russians invaded the Turkish balkins. Then the ottomans declared war on Russia. Then Great Britain and france declared war on Russia the following year.
5 True/False questions
Taiping Rebellion → this was a movement to restore China to the Chinese. A group of shadow boxers that beieved that they could dodge bullets. They hated foreigners and Chinese converts to Christianity. They killed many people until they were stopped by the british.
King Louis XVI (16th) → Absolute monarchy, caused many crisisis and Revolts in England. Took on a role of a depressed and in debt country
Realpolitik → Political theory, advocated by Bismarck, that national success justifies any means possible
Absolutism → a political system in which a ruler holds total power
Haitian Revolution → An agrarian revolution and industrialization that began in Great Britain that caused a shift from an economy based on farming and handicrafts to an economy based on manufacturing machines in factories. The significnce of the industrial revolution was that it aloud products to be mass produced. The reasons the IR began in GB was that they had increased food supply so pop. Increased and they had a high labor supply, they had a ready supply of money for the factories, they had plentiful natural resources and that had a supply of markets which gave the manufacturers a ready outlet for their goods.