5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Haitian Revolution
- Crimean War
- Taiping Rebellion
- a a1854-1868 peasant led 14 year-long rebellion in China; demanded equality, no private propery, dividing of harvest (they lost)
- b the belief that people should be as free as possible from government restraint. Based off of equality. They were run by a democracy, but you can still have a king. The people of ____________ were aloud to vote. The significance of this was that they were aloud to have their freedoms, such as freedom of speech, press, to bare arms. Also there was the separation of church and state.
- c was the result of a long term struggle between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. The ottoman empire had long controlled most of the Balkans in SE Europe. By 1800, the ottoman empire was in decline and it's authority over the balkin territories weakened. Russia hoped to gain control of this territory in order to become a major super. Russians invaded the Turkish balkins. Then the ottomans declared war on Russia. Then Great Britain and france declared war on Russia the following year.
- d Political theory, advocated by Bismarck, that national success justifies any means possible
- e Toussaint l'Ouverture led this uprising, which in 1790 resulted in the successful overthrow of French colonial rule on this Caribbean island. This revolution set up the first black government in the Western Hemisphere and the world's second democratic republic (after the US). The US was reluctant to give full support to this republic led by former slaves.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- when the government of Louis Phillippe refused to make changes his government was overthrown. The middle class was looking for the right to vote and the lower class where struggling during the tough economic times. A group or moderate and radical republicans set up a provisional government or temporary gov't. they wanted a government where in which leaders are elected.
- A joint stock company that controlled most of India during the period of imperialism. This company controlled the political, social, and economic life in India for more than 200 years.
- everyone has a job and live in small communities. They enjoy working and living together. They also share most everything and work hard. This system soon came to an end. (a utopian society). Revolution of the high class - then dictatorship over working class (NO private property)
Phase 1 - revolution, boargeosies vs proletariats
Phase 2 - take control (dictate) of everything
- Italian nationalist
recruits 1,000 Red Shirt volunteers who conquer Sicily and Napels
gives his won land to Cavour
5 True/False Questions
Technological Advancements → it changed the way people lived and worked. The increase in technology to move things (steam engine) and make things (weave cotton) made cottage industry inefficient. Inventors - invented advanced machines to make production of goods quicker and easier. Steam power transformed both farm production and the transportation system.
Nationalism → this was based off of being loyal to your country. In ____________ you were supposed to feel a sense of ride and national identity. This was significant because you were supposed to unify and come together. You all have a common enemy and the same religion.
King Louis XVI (16th) → Also known as the sun king, king louis ____ was an absolute ruler. This meant that he had total power over france. Louis reign was consigered the best example of an absolute monarchy. Louis took the throne at age 23 only a day after King Mazarins death. The palace of Versailles was home to the kings of france from 1682 to 1790 and it was a sybol of King Louis absolute rule. The court of Louis was imitated throughout Europe.
Leopold II → (reigned 1865-1909) King of Belgium who employed Henry Morton Stanley to help develop commercial ventures and establish a colony called the Congo Free State in the basin of the Congo River
Ancien Regime → this was based off of being loyal to your country. In ____________ you were supposed to feel a sense of ride and national identity. This was significant because you were supposed to unify and come together. You all have a common enemy and the same religion.