5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Opium Wars
- Revolutions of 1848
- King Louis XVI (16th)
- a Absolute monarchy, caused many crisisis and Revolts in England. Took on a role of a depressed and in debt country
- b Chinese appeal to britians queen to stop the opium trade. The british government does not reply. China searches british ships, throwing opium cargo into the ocean. British declare war 1839. British win
- c a political system in which a ruler holds total power
- d is a system where anyone can own anything privately, but at the same time you must work hard. In this system very many things are given to you by the government. Especially welfare, also things like armies and hospitals. Equalness is key
- e when the government of Louis Phillippe refused to make changes his government was overthrown. The middle class was looking for the right to vote and the lower class where struggling during the tough economic times. A group or moderate and radical republicans set up a provisional government or temporary gov't. they wanted a government where in which leaders are elected.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- when a group of military men hired by the british east India company grew to distrut the british because of a rumor going around that they used pig and cow fat to douse their guns cartridges. Pig and cow fat was very sacred to the hindus and muslims and it caused them to be distraught and rebel, they were thrown in jail. This caused others to fight to save them.
- .In 1830s, nationalist leader, Giuseppe Mazzini, founded Young Italy whose goal was to constitute Italy as one free independent, republican nation. In 1860, ally of Mazzini, Giuseppe Garibaldi recruited volunteers and won control of Sicily. Next, Garibaldi turned Naples and Sicily over to Victor Emmanuel. Successors of Count Camillo Cavour acquired Venetia and soon Rome was won back when France had to withdraw its troops during the Franco-Prussian War. Last, Italy becomes a united nation, which it hadn't been since the fall of the Roman Empire. Butt... Young Italy had many problems, too. North and South Italy had many disputes and there was hostility between church and state. When turmoil occurred, the government was forced to extend rights to more men and improve social conditions. However, by 1914, Italy was better off than it had been in 1861.
- Political theory, advocated by Bismarck, that national success justifies any means possible
- Also known as the sun king, king louis ____ was an absolute ruler. This meant that he had total power over france. Louis reign was consigered the best example of an absolute monarchy. Louis took the throne at age 23 only a day after King Mazarins death. The palace of Versailles was home to the kings of france from 1682 to 1790 and it was a sybol of King Louis absolute rule. The court of Louis was imitated throughout Europe.
- it changed the way people lived and worked. The increase in technology to move things (steam engine) and make things (weave cotton) made cottage industry inefficient. Inventors - invented advanced machines to make production of goods quicker and easier. Steam power transformed both farm production and the transportation system.
5 True/False Questions
Nationalism → is the system when people can have private ownership over anything. Such as a business or land. In capitalism they use capital. This system is based around making a good profit government has no say over business.
French Revolution of 1789 → when the government of Louis Phillippe refused to make changes his government was overthrown. The middle class was looking for the right to vote and the lower class where struggling during the tough economic times. A group or moderate and radical republicans set up a provisional government or temporary gov't. they wanted a government where in which leaders are elected.
Crimean War → was the result of a long term struggle between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. The ottoman empire had long controlled most of the Balkans in SE Europe. By 1800, the ottoman empire was in decline and it's authority over the balkin territories weakened. Russia hoped to gain control of this territory in order to become a major super. Russians invaded the Turkish balkins. Then the ottomans declared war on Russia. Then Great Britain and france declared war on Russia the following year.
Communism → everyone has a job and live in small communities. They enjoy working and living together. They also share most everything and work hard. This system soon came to an end. (a utopian society). Revolution of the high class - then dictatorship over working class (NO private property)
Phase 1 - revolution, boargeosies vs proletariats
Phase 2 - take control (dictate) of everything
Congress of Vienna → Loose series of European alliances where nations would help one another if a revolution broke out. It didn't stop revoltuions from occurring, but it did stop many nations from fighting each other.