5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a N. region near heaven or hell where certain souls are kept; a prison (slang). Among the divisions of Hell are Purgatory and Limbo.
- b ADJ. like a lion. He was leonine in his rage.
- c N. legal claim on property. There was a delay before Ralph could take possession of his late uncle's home; apparently, another claimant had a lien upon the estate.
- d N. compiler of a dictionary. The new dictionary is the work of many lexicographers who spent years compiling and editing the work.
- e N. humorous short verse. The limerick form is the best; its meter is pure anapest. A limerick's fun for most everyone, and the word may occur on your test.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- V. ridicule. This article lampoons the pretensions of some movie moguls. also N.
- N. generous gift. Lady Bountiful distributed largess to the poor.
- V. lose animation; lose strength. Left at Miss Minchin's school for girls while her father went off to war, Sarah Crewe refused to languish; instead, she hid her grief and actively befriended her less fortunate classmates.
- N. languor; weariness. After a massage and a long soak in the hot tub, I gave in to my growing lassitude and lay down for a nap.
- N. one who sets free. Simon Bolivar, who led the South American colonies in their rebellion against Spanish rule, is known as the great liberator. liberate,V.
5 True/False Questions
libertine → ADJ. flexible. Hours of ballet classes kept him limber.
lateral → ADJ. coming from the side. In order to get good plant growth, the gardener must pinch off all lateral shoots.
levy → V. impose (a fine); collect (a payment). Crying "No taxation without representation," the colonists demonstrated against England's power to levy taxes.
list → V. tilt; lean over. That flagpole should be absolutely vertical; instead, it lists to one side. (secondary meaning)
licentious → ADJ. amoral; lewd and lascivious; unrestrained. Unscrupulously seducing the daughter of his host, Don Juan felt no qualms about the immorality of his licentious behavior.