5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a ADJ. potential but undeveloped; dormant; hidden. Polaroid pictures are popular at parties, because you can see the latent photographic image gradually appear before your eyes.
- b N. dictionary. I cannot find this word in any lexicon in the library.
- c N. metal-bearing vein. If this lode that we have discovered extends for any distance, we have found a fortune.
- d ADJ. careless. We dislike restaurants where the service is lax and inattentive.
- e N. debauched person. Although she was aware of his reputation as a libertine, she felt she could reform him and help him abandon his dissolute way of life.
5 Multiple choice questions
- ADJ. lead-colored; black and blue; enraged. His face was so livid with rage that we were afraid that he might have an attack of apoplexy.
- N. region near heaven or hell where certain souls are kept; a prison (slang). Among the divisions of Hell are Purgatory and Limbo.
- ADJ. flexible; supple. Her figure was lithe and willowy.
- ADJ. drowsy; dull. The stuffy room made her lethargic: she felt as if she was about to nod off.
- V. praise. The NFL lauded Boomer Esiason's efforts to raise money to combat cystic fibrosis. laudable, laudatory, ADJ.
5 True/False questions
libido → N. region near heaven or hell where certain souls are kept; a prison (slang). Among the divisions of Hell are Purgatory and Limbo.
limn → V. draw; outline; describe. Paradoxically, the more realistic the details this artist chooses, the better able she is to limn her fantastic, other-worldly landscapes.
linger → V. loiter or dawdle; continue or persist. Hoping to see Juliet pass by, Romeo lingered outside the Capulet house for hours. Though Mother made stuffed cabbage on Monday, the smell lingered around the house for days.
levy → ADJ. suspicious; cautious. Don't eat the sushi at this restaurant; I'm a bit leery about how fresh the raw fish is.
languor → N. lassitude; depression. His friends tried to overcome the languor into which he had fallen by taking him to parties and to the theater.