← TMJ Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is the general term given to a band of fibrous tissue connecting bones?
- What process is found anterior to the condyle?
- What are the basic types of movement of the TMJ?
- What is the depression between the condyle and the coronoid process?
- State the function of the TMJ?
- a gliding, rotational (hinge)
- b coronoid process
- c ligaments
- d allows movement for speech and mastication
- e mandibular notch
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- postglenoid process
- Pain control, relaxation therapy, stress management, parafunctional habit control, muscular exercises, flat place non repositioning oral splint, surgery of the TMJ as a last resort
- posterior portion of the temporalis, bilateral contraction
- the head of the condyle of the mandible
- lateral pterygoid, bilateral contraction
5 True/False Questions
What type of movement occurs during lateral deviation of the mandible? → gliding in one upper synovial cavity, and rotation in opposite upper synovial cavity
Describe the diagnostic process for TMD. → palpation of the joint, palpation of muscles of mastication, check range of mandibular opening & facial pain, skull radiograph, MRI, look for signs and symptoms related to TMD
Describe the location and action of the stylomandibular ligament. → prevents excessive retraction, reinforces the joint capsule
What bones are articulated with the TMJ? → into 2 seperate upper and lower synovial cavities
What is the function of the synovial fluid? → allows movement for speech and mastication