5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Christ in Majesty
- Imperial Cathedral, Spayer, Germany
- Saint-Etienne, Normandy, France
- Cathedral of Saint-Lazarus
- 3 Portals;
- a a Roman Catholic cathedral, and a national monument of France, in Autun. Famous for its Cluniac inspiration and its Romanesque sculptures by Gislebertus, it is the seat of the Bishop of Autun.
- b wood ceilings, later converted into a monastery
- c Emphasize verticality
- d 1.Christ is welcomed by the angels (left)
2.2nd coming of Christ
3.Mary holding the Christ child (right)
- e Christ is in throne surrounded by the Evangelists; the 2nd coming of Christ; judgment day.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- carved wood, images of Virgin Mary & crucifixion rapidly spreads ideas bc wood is cheaper and faster to make.
- Moissac, France. Scalps Islamic influence, lions are stylized.
- support system, invented in Paris
- is stained glass
- elongated on the portal
5 True/False Questions
Chartress cathedral → 118 ft tall hundreds of years of work, tunic of virgin Mary was the only surviving relic after the fire, was rebuilt, 3 Portals.
Notre Dame → "our lady", Starts in Saint Denis, France
Stained glass, make it beautiful to attract and show story line
Strive to be better in the nave, vertically, in space, and light.
Vertically pointed arches, ribbed vaults; direct weight down. Flying buttresses
Amiens → narrower and taller
The Magi Sleep → needle and thread, stitching through a pre-existing tapestry.
Architrave → narrower and taller