5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a form of government in which a small group holds political power
- b a story or play intended to entertain and amuse, usually with a happy ending
- c Introduced a series of laws that established democracy in Athens. Through his reform, he sought to break the power of the aristocracy, and reorganized the structure of Athenian government. Under his constitution, the assembly won increased powers and emerged as the major political body.
- d A military formation in which foot soldiers stood so that their shields overlapped
- e Building used for worship; also a place of refuge
5 Multiple choice questions
- Story or play in which the central character struggles against destiny, but meets an unhappy end
- Member of the nobility or the upper-class
- Lead Athens through its Golden Age. Was responsible for rebuilding the city including its most famous structure, the Parthenon.
- Describing the artistic style of ancient Greece and Rome, characterized by balance, elegance, and simplicity
- A philosopher who believed in absolute truth. He developed a teaching technique known as The Socratic Method. He was found guilty of "corrupting the young" and was sentenced to die by drinking hemlock juice.
5 True/False questions
Themistocles → Athenian general/leader who lead the Athenian Navy to victory over the Persians at the battle at Salamis.
Sophocles → City-state of Ancient Greece
Tyrant → A person who seized power and established one-man rule
Homer → a story or play intended to entertain and amuse, usually with a happy ending
Euripides → Lead Athens through its Golden Age. Was responsible for rebuilding the city including its most famous structure, the Parthenon.