5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The president has made an informal change to the Constitution by creating executive agreements with other heads of states. What is the difference between a treaty and an executive agreement?
a.A treaty does not need congressional approval while an executive agreement needs congressional approval.
b.A treaty is only used in war and an executive order is only used during peace time.
c.A treaty is used during peace time and an executive order is used during war.
d.A treaty needs congressional approval while an executive agreement does not.
- John Marshall believed that the Constitution was meant to be adapted. What specific features of the Constitution provide for change and adaptation?
- What did President Gerald Ford mean when he said "our Constitution works"? How did the U.S. Constitution effectively resolve the crisis caused by President Nixon?
- Which principle grants the president the authority to appoint federal judges?
d.checks and balances
- From what you have learned about the three branches of government, the federal agency known as the CIA, or the Central Intelligence Agency, is most likely under the ____________ branch of government.
d.none of them
- a d.checks and balances
- b b.executive
- c Answers will vary but may include Article V and the ability to make amendments, the principles of checks and balances and separation of powers.
- d Answers will vary but may include that the Constitution limits governmental powers and ensures that no particular branch has more power than the others.
- e d.A treaty needs congressional approval while an executive agreement does not.
5 Multiple choice questions
- judicial review
- National Convention
- elastic clause
5 True/False questions
This section of the Constitution states why it was written.
b.Bill of Rights
d.Articles → c.Amendments
The legislative branch is the only branch that is ____________.
a.appointed by the president
b.appointed by the Supreme Court
c.voted into office directly by the people
d.voted into office by an electoral college → c.voted into office directly by the people
This is the current number of members in the House of Representatives.
d.535 → c.435
Article II of the Constitution → describes the executive branch
power divided between nation and states → federalism