5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The legislative branch is the only branch that is ____________.
a.appointed by the president
b.appointed by the Supreme Court
c.voted into office directly by the people
d.voted into office by an electoral college
- A(n) ____________ called by Congress is a method for proposing amendments that has never been used.
- Extradition, which gives a state an opportunity to send fugitives from one state back to the state seeking them, is contained in this article.
- The president can check Congress by this power.
c.separation of power enactment
- The president has made an informal change to the Constitution by creating executive agreements with other heads of states. What is the difference between a treaty and an executive agreement?
a.A treaty does not need congressional approval while an executive agreement needs congressional approval.
b.A treaty is only used in war and an executive order is only used during peace time.
c.A treaty is used during peace time and an executive order is used during war.
d.A treaty needs congressional approval while an executive agreement does not.
- a c.voted into office directly by the people
- b b.article four
- c b.veto
- d d.A treaty needs congressional approval while an executive agreement does not.
- e National Convention
5 Multiple choice questions
- b.due process.
- b.article four
- The Framers limited government power by creating a federal structure (federalism) that divided the responsibilities for governing between the national and state governments. In addition, the national government's power was limited by dividing its functions among three branches according to a principle called separation of powers. Finally, the Framers created a system of checks and balances by which the actions of one branch might be blocked by another.
- Answers will vary. Students should recognize that a specially elected convention would require more planning and be more costly than a proposal by Congress and ratification by state legislatures. Also, some people believe that a convention might not limit itself to a specific amendment.
5 True/False questions
Predicting Consequences What might have happened to the ability of Congress to govern if the Framers had not included the elastic clause among its enumerated powers? → Students should realize that the functions of Congress would likely be limited to its enumerated powers and that its power to govern almost certainly would be diminished. Congress also would have more difficulty adapting its powers to meet the nation's changing needs.
agreement between heads of state → federalism
How are informal changes made to the Constitution?
a.Changes are made through practice.
b.Changes are made through legal avenues.
c.Changes are made through adding amendments.
d.Changes are not allowed to be informal and can only go through the congress. → d.A treaty needs congressional approval while an executive agreement does not.
To protect liberty and specify its powers, the Framers gave Congress
A) expressed powers
B) judicial reviews
C) executive powers
D) judicial restraint → A) expressed powers
This action between the President and the head of a foreign government does NOT require congressional approval.
d.poll tax → d.checks and balances