5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Based on a friend's suggestion, Nicole moved her bed so that its head pointed to magnetic north. Nicole's friend told her this would help align the electrical impulses in her body and improve blood circulation to her brain. After sleeping this way for a week, Nicole found it easier to concentrate while studying. Her test scores also seemed to improve. Even after learning that scientific evidence does not support this notion, Nicole believed that sleeping with her pointed to the magnetic north had improved her performance. Nicole's perception is an example of:
- How did Physiology contribute to the emergence of psychology as a separate scientific discipline?
- Pressor Williams is investigating loneliness. Participants in the study complete the UCLA Loneliness scale to measure their level of loneliness. they also answer questions on a survey about many aspects of their personal life. in analyzing the results of her study, professor Williams finds that as the number of friends increases, the level of loneliness tends to decrease. this represents a _____ correlation.
- In a double-blind study:
- Which famous Greek philosopher wrote extensively about such psychological topics as sleep and dreaming, the senses, memory, and learning?
- a Aristotle
- b Pseudoscientific belief
- c physiologists demonstrated that scientific methods could be applied to understanding human behavior and mental processes
- d Negative
- e both the subjects and the researcher who interacts with them are unaware of which subjects have been exposed to the independent variable
5 Multiple choice questions
- a precises description of how each variable in a particular study will be manipulated or measured
- Operationally define the terms premarital education and marital quality
- fake or false science that is based on little or no scientific evidence
- A positive correlation
5 True/False questions
A correlational study: → both the subjects and the researcher who interacts with them are unaware of which subjects have been exposed to the independent variable
Dr. Marinez is studying the effects of diet on mental alertness Each morning for two weeks, subjects in Dr. Martinez's study eat a breakfast that is either high in carbohydrates or high in protein. Dr. Martinez then measures the subject's abilities at solving geometry problems. What is the dependent variable in this study? → The ability to solve geometry problems
A representative sample is a: → group of subjects that closely parallels the larger group to be studied on all relevant characteristics, such as age, sex, and race
Pressor Anderson is interested in how family relationships change over time. during the last two decades, he has kept track of and repeatedly surveyed the same group of 3,000 participants about changes in their relationships with their parents and siblings. Professor Anderson is most likely a _____ psychologist. → Developmental
which of the following events do most historians consider to mark the formal beginning of psychology as a scientific discipline? → Carl Rogers