← endocrine - SAM Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- hepatic lipidosis
- a inc ALP, inc BUN, dec CRE, hypophosphatemia
- b young to middle aged; females twice as often as males; Std poodles, portu water dogs, beardies, leonbergers, labs
- c T/F: PTHrp is sometimes elevated in renal insufficiency
- d why are liver enzymes elevated in DM?
- e absolute or relative _________ deficiency results in: lipolysis with inc fatty acid and ketone body production; protein catabolism; hyperglycemia due to dec glucose uptake and inc gluconeogenesis; dec tissue utilization of glucose, FAs, and AAs
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- normal to high insulin in the face of hypoglycemia
- muscle fasciculations, tetany, and seizures are common signs; muscle cramping -> stiff gait, splinted abdomen, tremors, and intense facial rubbing
- which improves first in hypoT4 - attitude, hair regrowth, derm signs?
- rare congenital hepatic enzyme deficiency. Affected animals cannot convert glycogen to glucose due to a critical enzyme deficiency
- elevated BG, glycosuria, ketonuria in a sick patient is most consistent with _____
5 True/False Questions
addisons → DDx hypoglycemia - WBCs and bacteria utilize glucose as an energy source. In addition, septic animals frequently have poor perfusion which results in decreased oxygen availability to tissues. Decreased oxygen availability leads to an increase in anaerobic glycolysis and glucose utilization. Coinciding with decreased perfusion is decreased hepatic glucose production
false → T/F: PTHrp is sometimes elevated in renal insufficiency
HHS → dogs - 7-9 yrs peak incidence, females twice as often as males; cats - most over 8 yrs; mostly neutered males; obesity and pancreatitis risk factors
false → T/F: if caught early enough, cataracts will not form in dogs with DM
insulin fluids K P → ddx hypoglycemia - functional beta-cell tumor of the pancreas that episodically elaborates insulin regardless of blood glucose and may respond excessively to glucose load (post-prandial). Excessive amounts of insulin result in hypoglycemia. Of the above causes of hypoglycemia in the adult, this is the most common cause.