← 1940's Play terms Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a a bomber crew member who uses the bombsight and releases the bombs
- b short for civilian defense, a volunteer organization of air raid wardens, ham radio poerators and the like.
- c good,cool,hip,etc.
- d A fast jitterbug
- e Means Government Issue ,but the initials also stand for enlisted personnel G.I."Joe."
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- killing time with friends
- drinking soda pop that only cost a dime at that time
- an attractive girl
- eight eighth notes to a measure. commonly used in swing music
- carried away by music
5 True/False Questions
Civil Defense → after the attack on Pearl Harbor,fear of an other attack on the mainland led to the formation of the office of Civil Defense. By 1934' nine million civilian volunteers were serving as spotters scanning the skies for enemy aircraft' and as air-raid wardens checking to see that all houses were blacked out when air-raid sirens sounded . Coastal cities were dark at night . Fear of attack by submarines or planes led city leaders to order building lights turned off.
Powder dry → as in "keep your powder dry" technically it means gun powder but came to mean "keep ready for action
O.S.S → Means Government Issue ,but the initials also stand for enlisted personnel G.I."Joe."
Jitterbug → An athletic often acrobatic dance with "breakaways." Make the jitterbug song and dance as unrestrained as possible.The jitterbug was only a c-r-a-z-y dance with leaps and jumps and tossing partners about, was also wildly popular during WWII.
Cut A Rug → Dance up a storm