← Chapter 8 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- cult of domesticity
- Dorothea Dix
- Seneca Falls Convention
- free blacks
- a emphasizing the role of good homemaker, it made the home a woman's special sphere
- b 19th century nativist political party.
- c convention held in 1848 to argue for womens rights
- d Rights activist on behalf of mentally ill patients - created first wave of US mental asylums
- e African Americans who were free rather than slaves at the time that slavery still existed in the United States
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Poorly built, overcrowded housing where many immigrants lived
- A prominent advocate of women's rights, Stanton organized the 1848 Seneca Falls Convention with Lucretia Mott
- A transcendentalist who wrote the essay "Civil Disobedience" which outlined his protest to the Mexican American war. This essay later influenced non-violent protests by Gandhi and M.L. King Jr.
- became president as the country was entering the Panic of 1837; made the situation worse by continuing Jackson's policy of favoring hard currency
- campaign to limit or ban the use of alcoholic beverages
5 True/False Questions
Nativism → 19th Century movement opposed to immigrants and foreigners.
utopian movement → 1820 - 1860, more than 100,000 people searched for alternative lifestyles and the perfect society.
Lucretia Mott → Quaker women's rights advocate who also strongly supported abolition of slavery
Reform Era → Poorly built, overcrowded housing where many immigrants lived
Horace Mann → Poorly built, overcrowded housing where many immigrants lived