← Ch. 9 Test
6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- the often ridiculed group of continental army officers who formed a an exclusive hereditary order. The group was founded due to the spead of the idea of social equality and break down of aristocratic society within america.
- Free thinking Thomas Jefferson and his co-reformers, including the babptists won a complete victory in the passage of The Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom. Helped maintain religious tolerance and a seperation between church and state.
- "small-state plan". This provided for equal representation within a unicameral congress by states, regardless of size an dpopulation, as under the existing Articles of Confederation.
- Set transitional movements from colony to statehood. The ordinance demanded that the colony must hold 60,000 inhabitants before becoming a state. No new colonies were permitted to have slaves either. The congress maintained federal rule over the colony until it became a state.
- alexander hamilton, john jay and james madison masterly penned a series of articles for the New York. The articles were written in an attempt to turn the hearts of the anti-federalist new yorkers who would not support the constitution. New York was eventually swayed by the eloquence and persuasiveness of the authors.
- "the large-state plane". its essence was that representation in both houses of Congress should be based on population-an arrangement that would naturally give the larger states the adavantage
6 True/False Questions
Anti-federalists → citizens who opposed the stronger federal government, Believed strong central governemnt would lead to tyranny and were largely for states rights.
Alexander Hamiltion → demanded that the congress call to meet in philadephia for the sole purpose of revising the Articles of Confedration. He was also present at the meeting and held a 5 hour long lecture of the necessity of a super powerful central government.
Great Connecticut Compromise → the compromise between total representation (headcount wise) for the slave populations within the south or none at all. It was decided that each slave would be counted as three fifths of a person.
Shays Rebellion. → The father of the constitution. The was a profound student of governement, who at age thirty-six so effected the formation of the constitution eventually became the father of the constitution.
Articles of Coonfederation → The colonies make shift constitution which tied each separate state in a strong bond of "friendship". Essentially a treaty between 13 different countries with similiar government infrastructure. Articles of Confederation lacked the ability for congress or the president to have any true federal power due to fear of tyranny. Also, the documents set up the 3 branch governement.
James Madison → people who believed dominant states rights over federal rights would lead to an inable and unproductive governement and believed a strong central government ultimately was the bestr thing for the nation.