5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- If the half-life of a reaction is independent of concentration, the reaction is:
a. Zero order
b. First order
c. Second order
d. Zero and first order
e. First and second order
- The following data were collected for the following reaction at a particular temperature. What is the rate-law expression for this reaction? rate = ____.
NH3 + O2 → N2O + H2O
Experiment Initial [NH3] Initial [O2] Initial Rate
1 1.10 M 1.10 M 5.5 × 10−3 M/s
2 2.20 M 2.20 M 4.4 × 10−2 M/s
3 1.10 M 2.20 M 2.2 × 10−2 M/s
- A catalyst ____.
a. is used up in a chemical reaction
b. changes the value of ΔG0 of the reaction
c. is always a solid
d. does not influence the reaction in any way
e. changes the activation energy of the reaction
- Determine the rate-law expression for the reaction below at the temperature at which the tabulated initial rate data were obtained. rate = ____
A + 2B + 3C → Products
Experiment Initial [A] Initial [B] Initial [C] Initial Rate of Loss of A
1 0.10 M 0.20 M 0.10 M 4.0 × 10−2 M•min−1
2 0.40 M 0.20 M 0.10 M 4.0 × 10−2 M•min−1
3 0.20 M 0.20 M 0.25 M 1.0 × 10−1 M•min−1
4 0.20 M 0.40 M 0.10 M 1.6 × 10−1 M•min−1
e. none of these
- Calculate the activation energy of a reaction if its rate constant is 2.8 × 106 s−1 at 24°C and 1.5 × 107 s−1 at 48°C.
a. 26 kJ/mol
b. 80. kJ/mol
c. 55 kJ/mol
d. 67 J/mol
e. 3.51 J/mol
- a e. changes the activation energy of the reaction
- b a. Zero order
- c e. k[NH3][O2]2
- d d. k[B]2[C]
- e c. 55 kJ/mol
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a. k[AB][C2]
- a. 5.0 × 102 min
- b. 2.01 min−1
- b. difficult to verify experimentally.
5 True/False Questions
A reaction A + 2B → C is found to be first order in A and first order in B. What are the units of the rate constant, k, if the rate is expressed in units of moles per liter per minute?
e. M2•min−1 → a. M−1•min−1
For a certain reaction of the general form aA → products, a plot of the experimental data as 1/[A] versus time is linear. What is the reaction order with respect to reactant A?
e. third → a. zero order graph
A plot of ln [C] versus time is linear for the reaction C → D. What is the kinetic order of the reaction?
e. negative one → b. first
Rate data have been determined at a particular temperature for the overall reaction
2NO + 2H2 → Ν2 + 2H2O
in which all reactants and products are gases.
Trial Run Initial [NO] Initial [H2] Initial Rate (M•s−1)
1 0.10 M 0.20 M 0.0150
2 0.10 M 0.30 M 0.0225
3 0.20 M 0.20 M 0.0600
What would be the initial rate of the reaction if the initial molar concentration of NO = 0.30 M and the initial molar concentration of H2 = 0.10 M?
a. 0.068 M•s−1
b. 0.22 M•s−1
c. 0.022 M•s−1
d. 0.040 M•s−1
e. 0.10 M•s−1 → a. 0.068 M•s−1
The rate constant for a reaction at 40.0°C is exactly 4 times that at 20.0°C. Calculate the Arrhenius energy of activation for the reaction.
a. 4.00 kJ/mol
b. 6.36 kJ/mol
c. 52.8 kJ/mol
d. 11.5 kJ/mol
e. none of these → b. 300°K