5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- republican motherhood
- King William's War
- Queen Anne's War
- Missouri Compromise
- a First in a series of European wars fought in part on North American soil.
- b Emphasized the importance of educating white women in the values of liberty and independence in order to strengthen virtue in the new nation. It was the republican duty of mothers to inculcate these values in their sons—the nation's future leaders—as well as their daughters.
- c This stated that in order to balance the number of free and slave states, Congress in 1820 admitted Maine as a free state and Missouri as a slave state; to forestall a further crisis, it also prohibited slavery in the remainder of the Louisiana Purchase north of 36°30'—the southern boundary of Missouri.
- d Tekumseh's brother who was looked down on by fellow Shawnees as a drunken mischief. Later on, he gave up liquor and began tearful preaching to surrounding tribes to return to their old ways and to avoid contact with whites. He quickly became known as the Prophet.
- e War in 1702 between England versus France and Spain.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The court case that ruled that States could not interfere with the exercise of federal powers. A tax by Maryland on the Baltimore branch of the Second Bank of the United States was plainly unconstitutional, according to this rule.
- Each branch of government has separate powers from one another.
- Signed on Christmas Eve 1814, it restored the status quo ante bellum (the state of things before the war); the United States neither gained nor lost territory. Several additional issues, including fixing a boundary between the United States and Canada, were referred to joint commissions for future settlement. Nothing was done about impressment, but the end of the war in Europe made neutral rights a dead issue.
- Italian explorer who claimed the island of San Salvador in the Bahamas for the king and queen of Spain.
- When representatives of the seven colonies met to talk about relations with the Native Americans. They delegates also endorsed a proposal for a colonial federation, the Albany Plan of the Union, based on the ideas of Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Hutchinson.
5 True/False Questions
Declaratory Act → This affirmed parliamentary power to legislate for the colonies "in all cases whatsoever".
Election of 1796 → Federalist John Adams won by three votes, and as the second-highest vote-getter in the electoral college, Thomas Jefferson became vice president.
King George's War → A set of official policies set by Puritan ministers to maintain order in the colony.
Glorious Revolution → Revolution of 1688 which resulted in the overthrow of James II by William of Orange
beaver wars → A series of attacks from 1715-1716 led by Catawbas, Creeks, and other Indian allies on English trading houses and settlements. Only by enlisting the aid of the Cherokee Indians, and allowing four hundred slaves to bear arms, did the colony crush the uprising.