5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- White Piedra is characterized by
- Cutanaeous candidiasis can complicate
- Certain fungi can cause subcutaneous infections when they are transferred from soil or plants directly into traumatized skin. These infections are called
- Coccidioides immitis occurs
- Other candidal infections include
- a intertriginous infections in moist areas where skin rubs against skin (i.e. beneath the breasts, in the armpits, and in the groin).
- b endemically in natural reservoirs and casually in areas where it has been carried by the wind or animals
- c subcutaneous because they involve tissues within and just below the skin. These fungi are greatly inhibited by higher temperatures of the blood and viscera and rarely disseminate.
- d burns and can produce a scalded rash on the skin of neonates
- e a white to yellow mass that develops on the shaft of scalp, pubic, or axillary hair. Sometimes the mass is invaded by brightly colored bacterial contaminants, with amazing results
NOTcommon in the United States
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- localized abscess in the subcutaneous tissues that gradually swells and drains. Untreated cases that spread to the muscles and bones causing pain and loss of function in the affected body part. Mycetoma has a lengthy course, and is difficult to treat.
- some dermatophytes and Candida species that naturally inhabit the human body and are transmissible
- sporotrichosis, chromo-blastomycosis, phaeohyphomycosis, and mycetoma.
- systemic infections, subcutaneous infections, cutaneous infections, superficial infections, and opportunistic infections
- inadequate immune defenses or is exposed to a large inoculum or a particularly virulent strain. The fungus grows at the site of penetration and develops a small nodule within a few days to months. The nodule subsequently enlarges, becomes necrotic, breaks through the skin, and drains
5 True/False Questions
Blastomyces dermatiditis is the etiologic agent of → dimorphic fungus that exhibits a similar pattern to other dimorphic fungi. The mycelial phase is usually a uniform white to tan colony of thin, septate mycelia. Temperature-induced conversion produces yeasts with buds that are nearly as large as the parent cell.
Aspergillosis is almost always an → very common fungus called Sporothrix schenkii
Pneumocystis carinii was actually discovered in ?
but remained relatively obscure until it achieved clinical prominence as the etiologic agent of ?
is the most prominent opportunistic infection in? → 1909
pneumocystis (carinii) pneumonia ("PCP")
Major issues concerning Cryptococcus neoformans are → The yeasts may escape into the blood, sometimes intensified by weakened host defenses. Severe complications can result. C. neoformans has an extreme affinity for the brain and meninges. Tumor-like masses may form in these locations causing headache, mental changes, coma, paralysis, vision disturbances, and seizures. In some cases, the infection may disseminate into the skin, bones, and viscera.
Zygomycoses are seen in increasing numbers in → inhalation of the lightweight arthrospores which convert in the lungs to spherules which swell and rupture releasing many spores to continue the infection. This primary pulmonary infection is not inapparent in about 60% of those infected. The other 40% usually exhibit coldlike symptoms including fever, cough, chest pain, headaches, and general malaise