A 27-year-old woman is suffering from numbness over the tip of her nose. Which of the following nerves is most likely to be damaged?
a. Ophthalmic division of the trigeminal nerve. Nasociliary n
b. Maxillary division of the trigeminal nerve.
c. Mandibular division of the trigeminal nerve.
d. Facial nerve.
e. Auriculotemporal nerve
2. A 53-year old woman with a severe middle ear infection comes to a hospital. On examination a physician finds that the infection has injured the tympanic nerve (Jacobson's nerve). The damaged nerve:
a. Is a branch of the facial nerve
b. Contains postganglionic parasympathetic fibers
c. Synapses with fibers in the lesser petrosal nerve
d. Is a branch of CNIX
e. Forms the tympanic plexus in the external auditory meatus
2. A 33-year-old woman develops Bell's palsy. She must be cautious because this can result in corneal inflammation and subsequent ulceration. This symptom results from which of the following conditions?
a. Sensory loss of the cornea and conjunctiva
b. Absence of the corneal blink reflex- paralysis of the orbicularis oculi m
c. Lack of secretion of the parotid gland
d. Absence of sweating on the face
e. Inability to contrict the pupil
4. A 3-year-old male child complains of an earache. You suspect otitis media and prescribe an antibiotic. Children below the age of seven are more prone to otitis media because:
a. The inner ear is not well developed
b. The salpingopharyngeus muscle is much shorter
c. The Eustachian tube is shorter.
d. The Eustachian tube is longer
e. They are more prone to develop colds.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
CNX innervates the musculus uvulae. A lesion causes deviation of the uvula toward the opposite side of the injury.
5 True/False Questions
6. A 7-year-old boy has lost general sensation on the anterior two thirds of the tongue. This is probably due to injury to branches of which of the following nerves?
a. CNV via lingual nerve, a branch of mandibular division of CNV
d. CNX → A
12. A pharyngeal (gag) reflex is the contraction of the pharyngeal constrictor muscles that is elicited by touching the back of a patient's pharynx (with a tongue depressor). Afferent nerve fibers that innervated the pharyngeal mucosa are branches of which of the following nerves?
d. CNIX → A
4. A 24-year-old man falls from his motorcycle and lands in a creek. Death may result from bilateral severance of which of the following nerves?
e. CNXII → E
5. A 55-year-old woman is undergoing thryoidectomy. Two months postop she suffers from loss of sensation within the larynx from the vocal folds upwards to the entrance of the larynx, allowing for aspiration of liquids into the airway. Which of the following nerves is most likely injured?
a. Internal laryngeal nerve
b. External laryngeal nerve
c. Glossopharyngeal nerve
d. Hypoglossal nerve
e. Recurrent laryngeal nerve → A
7. A 32-year-old man is admitted to the hospital with nausea, vomiting, and severe headache. An MRI reveals an acoustic neuroma. Which of the following nerves is most likely compressed by the tumor?
a. CNVII- a vestibuloschwannoma is a benign tumor of CNVIII, primarily the vestibular part. This usually causes compression of CNVII.
e. CNVI → A