← Ch 7 stuff Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Periaqueductal gray area
- Loudness is to ________ as pitch is to ________.
- The function of the semicircular canals is to:
- a decreased response to a stimulus as a result of recent exposure to it
- b amplitude; frequency
- c detect movement of the head.
- d area of the brainstem that is rich in enkephalin synapses
- e area of skin connected to a particular spinal nerve
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- area in the medulla that receives input from taste receptors
- cannot recognize combinations or sequences of sounds.
- Non-pain information can inhibit pain information.
- membrane of the inner ear, adjacent to the stirrup
5 True/False Questions
Volley principle → tenet that a sound wave of a moderately high pitch may produce a volley of impulses by various fi bers even if no individual fiber can produce impulses in synchrony with the sound waves
One hypothesis of synesthesia is: → experience of one sense in response to stimulation of another sense
Pinna → experience that corresponds to the frequency of a sound
Enkephalins → chemical that causes neurons containing substance P to release it suddenly and also directly stimulates pain receptors sensitive to moderate heat
Frequency theory → assumption that stimulation of certain nonpain axons in the skin or in the brain can inhibit transmission of pain messages in the spinal cord