seek to explain why media work the way they do.
What affects perception?
- your personal characteristics.
- needs (you tend to process info in a way that is relevant to your needs)
avoid the pain of conflicting info
scripts and schemata (little stories)
-stereotyped sea of events.
-helps organize incoming info
- lots of info can be left out if we have the script
- constantly test and modify scripts
-stereotypes exist because they are useful.
set or expectation
what we can expect to happen next.
- groups with whom we ID.
- interact with these groups.
- to test our interpretations.
-also looked for guidance or reinforcement.
established categories or frames in which to "see" things effects both verbal and nonverbal info.
-rather peculiar sub segment of the mass media.
-consumable and collectible
- young mass medium (20th century medium)
senate meeting about the dangers of comic books.
Media industries when threatened with regulation regulates itself.