5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- who had voting rights in the roman republic?
- what river was rome built on? how did it contribute to rome's growth?
- who provided the check on the power of the Roman empire leaders?
- How did romans gain control over the mediterranean sea?
- what was the importance of the major leaders: augustus, constantine, justinian, diocletian, etc?
- a The tiber river. the river helped rome have busy trade throughout italy.
- b they used their good army to conquer modern day italy and nearby lands. won against carthage. had power over most of the mediterranean sea
- c augustus- pax romana under his power. created good government. his rule had greatest extent of its size and influence. constantine- stopped attacks on christians, and moved the capital from rome to byzantine ( then came known as constantinople) justinian- expanded and recaptured land. created the justinian code. created beautiful buildings (Hagia Sophia- beautiful church) diocletian-split rome into east and west. restored order by ruling with tolerating little opposition.
- d senate
- e average citizens. wealthy people and noble families did have a big influence though. the free-born male had the right to vote. women had few rights.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the soil became difficult to farm on because of warfare and overuse. because slaves worked in the fields romans had no interest in inventing new tools. however no technology could have helped to save the soil. disease and hunger spread throughout the empire and many people died
- he ruled with a harsh hand or cruelly. they never went back to having a king instead they created a republic government.
- it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
- he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
5 True/False questions
what were the problems that Rome faced, why they existed, and how they contributed to the fall of the empire? → the capitol stood in between europe and southwest asia. because of this it was a busy center of business and trade. merchants sold stuff on the streets from distant corners of asia, africa, and europe.
how did the location of the settlement of Rome contribute to its successes? → 476
what is a schism and why did it happen in rome and what was the result of it? → pax romana was a long period time of roman peace and prosperity. this happened when augustus was in power.
why was the Roman republic formed? → he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
what culture was strongly influenced by the culture of Rome? → greece's culture