5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- what culture was strongly influenced by the culture of Rome?
- what was the effect that location had on the byzantine empire?
- in what ways did the use of slave labor hurt roman agriculture and the roman empire?
- why did christianity threaten the roman empire?
- what are the different legacies left behind by rome and why are they important?
- a the capitol stood in between europe and southwest asia. because of this it was a busy center of business and trade. merchants sold stuff on the streets from distant corners of asia, africa, and europe.
- b justinian code- many codes of laws have gotten help from this. christianity- people still practice it today. mosaics- people still make them today. sculptures- are still made today. we still speak the european languages. we still use vaults domes and arches. and aqueducts. we still use roads.the principles of roman law helped to form the basis of legal systems in many euro. countries and the usa.
- c greece's culture
- d the soil became difficult to farm on because of warfare and overuse. because slaves worked in the fields romans had no interest in inventing new tools. however no technology could have helped to save the soil. disease and hunger spread throughout the empire and many people died
- e it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
5 Multiple choice questions
- with augustus, they became an empire. he was brilliant and careful. he built a strong government where the senate represented citizen's interests but they had little power. rome grew and became strong. rome ruled over a lot of land. pax romana helped.
- with no new conquests there was no new wealth to bring to the government. no new slaves. no new farming land.
- the location made it easy to make roads. the river and sea helped trade and travel.
- stoics are people that believe in stoicism. stoicism is the philosophy created by a greek philosopher zeno that stresses the importance of virtue, duty, and endurance in life. citizens should have these qualities.
- he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
5 True/False questions
How did romans gain control over the mediterranean sea? → it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
what was the importance of the major leaders: augustus, constantine, justinian, diocletian, etc? → 476
why was the Roman republic formed? → they did not wanted to be ruled by a king. this way citizens had a voice in their government and no person had all the power.
who had voting rights in the roman republic? → average citizens. wealthy people and noble families did have a big influence though. the free-born male had the right to vote. women had few rights.
why did rome drive tarquin from power? (government guided by what?) → he ruled with a harsh hand or cruelly. they never went back to having a king instead they created a republic government.