5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- what caused the transition from Roman Republic to Roman Empire?
- who had voting rights in the roman republic?
- why was the Roman republic formed?
- how did the lack of new conquests hurt the roman empire?
- what is the Pax Romana? and who led rome into it?
- a average citizens. wealthy people and noble families did have a big influence though. the free-born male had the right to vote. women had few rights.
- b pax romana was a long period time of roman peace and prosperity. this happened when augustus was in power.
- c they did not wanted to be ruled by a king. this way citizens had a voice in their government and no person had all the power.
- d with augustus, they became an empire. he was brilliant and careful. he built a strong government where the senate represented citizen's interests but they had little power. rome grew and became strong. rome ruled over a lot of land. pax romana helped.
- e with no new conquests there was no new wealth to bring to the government. no new slaves. no new farming land.
5 Multiple choice questions
- it threatened because all of the fighting could make it easy for attack and it also could make the government weak. people could break out into war.
- justinian code- many codes of laws have gotten help from this. christianity- people still practice it today. mosaics- people still make them today. sculptures- are still made today. we still speak the european languages. we still use vaults domes and arches. and aqueducts. we still use roads.the principles of roman law helped to form the basis of legal systems in many euro. countries and the usa.
- The tiber river. the river helped rome have busy trade throughout italy.
- he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
- stoics are people that believe in stoicism. stoicism is the philosophy created by a greek philosopher zeno that stresses the importance of virtue, duty, and endurance in life. citizens should have these qualities.
5 True/False questions
Constantine outlawed attacks on whom? → he was a powerful ruler of the byzantine empire. he recaptured lost land and expanded the empire. he created a code of laws called the justinian code that regulated much of the byzantine life. he also made a impressive palace for him and his wife theodora.
what was the effect that location had on the byzantine empire? → 476
what were the problems that Rome faced, why they existed, and how they contributed to the fall of the empire? → the capitol stood in between europe and southwest asia. because of this it was a busy center of business and trade. merchants sold stuff on the streets from distant corners of asia, africa, and europe.
how did the location of the settlement of Rome contribute to its successes? → with no new conquests there was no new wealth to bring to the government. no new slaves. no new farming land.
what was the importance of the major leaders: augustus, constantine, justinian, diocletian, etc? → augustus- pax romana under his power. created good government. his rule had greatest extent of its size and influence. constantine- stopped attacks on christians, and moved the capital from rome to byzantine ( then came known as constantinople) justinian- expanded and recaptured land. created the justinian code. created beautiful buildings (Hagia Sophia- beautiful church) diocletian-split rome into east and west. restored order by ruling with tolerating little opposition.