5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The use of discretion consists of which of the following determinations?
- What type of neighborhood are police more likely to respond to a request for arrest?
- Which of the following statements is correct?
- Which of the following styles is chiefly concerned with achieving "order maintenance" through control of illegal and disruptive behavior?
- What is the definition of a symbolic assailant?
- a A person whom a police officer thinks is potentially dangerous, such as someone who seems suspicious
- b Wealthy neighborhoods
- c As the relational distance between two parties increases, arrest is more likely
- d Both A and B are correct;
a) How to intervene on a situation
b) Whether or not to intervene on a situation
- e The watchman style
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ladylike behavior
- Police behavior is dictated by their position in the impossible situation of ensuring public order and protecting individual rights
- Both A and B;
a) Neighborhoods that have more quality-of-life problems
b) Lower socioeconomic neighborhoods
- Role orientations
5 True/False questions
What does the expression, "Policing by the letter of the law" mean? → Police officers strictly interpret and enforce the law according to the exact statements of the law
What is one of the advantages associated with the use of discretion in law enforcement? → Ladylike behavior
Which influential scholar found that respect and socialization were essential elements in police behavior? → Westley
What is the territorial imperative? → The sense of obligation and protectiveness that develops in officers' routine patrol areas
According to the text, why are young people more likely to be arrested than elderly people? → Young people tend to disrespect police more, which leads to a reciprocal behavior by police arrest