Arthurian Legends BG Notes Sheet
|Legend|| Story based on truth passed down through words of mouth|
|Epic Hero||Larger than life hero who performs supernatural feats, ans is important to culture|
|American Epic||No American Epics exist, but Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, and John henry fit the bill for an Epic Hero|
|Real Life King Arthur|| Arturius Dux Bellorum "Lord of Battle" in 5th century.|
Celtic war chief who defeated saxons, and was given a god-like status.
History and myht combined to creater and Alexander the Great of Britian.
|Middle Ages||Medieval period.|
|Middle ages legnth|| 476-1453|
Prinitng Press invented
|Dom. forces of Medieval Period|| Catholic Church|
Feudalism= fealty to the leige.
|Knight birth||An Aristo.|
|Talents of a knight.||skill, braver, endurance|
|Tourneys||10th century france and fluorished|
|Knights were...|| 1. Truthful speak|
2. Defend Church
3. Protect poor
4. Make peace in province
5. pursue infidels.
6. Treat prisoners as guests
7. A brother to other knights
|Chivalry||Practice of knighthood by the nobility|
|Characteristics of Nobility|| 1. Allied to god and protect christianity|
2. Loyal to liege
3. Loyal to lady
4. Protected weak and helpless
|Qualitites of Chivalry.||Generous, loyalty, humility, service, courage, courtasey,|
|Courtly love|| Marriage was an econ. benefit|
Strict behavior code
Lover idealized lady
Women were distant and aloof to lover.
|Andreas Cappellus||Wrote "The Rules of Courtly Love"|
|Rules of Courtly love.||1. Marriage is not an excuse for not loving|
2. Jealous prevents love from existing
3. No double love
4. Love increases or decreases
5. If you do against you wife, you get 0 pleasure
6. Boys must be mature to love
7. It is difficult to attain love makes it prizes.
8. Pale face in presence of Beloves
9. After spouse death, you get 2 yearts off
10. When you see a lover, your heart skips a beat.
11. New loves leaves for an old flame
12. Always think of your love.