Def. of Health According to W.H.O.
"State of complete physical, mental, and social well being"
- health not merely absence of disease or infirmity
- preventative med concentrates on keeping people well
Prevention of disease or injury.
- hlth education encourages individuals to develop good health habbits
- Environmental modification to decrease injuries from falls, fires, vehicle accidents, and develop adequate sewage and clean drinking H2O
Early detection and proper treatment of diseases.
- Screening programs used to detect disease processes at early age
- limits itself with disability or rehabilitation from diseases.
- Public health can be defined as: those activities of a gov. agency or community group not normally done in private sector to improve health status of community or individuals in community
Public Health Agencies
Perform certain functions: Assessment -> Policy Development -> Assurance
based on scientific and technical knowledge along with public values and opinions
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Responsible for safety of regulating health products and restricts product misrepresentation in health advertising
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
compiles statistics on mortality and morbidity, and
also keeps track on epidemics.