5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Congestion (cyanosis/hypoxia)
- Hyperemia (erythema)
- Irreversible shock
- a increased inflow into a vessel; i.e. exercise, inflammation
- b a detached solid, gaseous, or liquid mass that is carried by the blood from site of origin to a distal site. May lodge in pulmonary or systemic circulation.
- c decreased outflow of a vessel; i.e. local obstruction, congestive heart failure
- d the end result of decompensated shock. marked by: circulatory collapse, hypoperfusion of vital organs, and loss of vital functions. PTs are in distress and are frantic, DIC is common, and high mortality.
- e mixed acidosis occurs. result of renal, anaerobic glycolosis, and respiratory insufficiency.
5 Multiple choice questions
- ischemic necrosis of tissue distal to an area of arterial occulsion or in an area of obstructed venous outflow
- when early shock fails: hypotension occurs, BP and CO fall. Tachypnea and SOB lead to heart failure and pulmonary edema causing anoxia, lead to ARDS.
- Allergen (bee sting), neurogenic (spinal cord, pain from trauma), and bacterial endotoxins (septic shock)
- adherent masses of blood that have areas of pale alternating with areas of red - lines of zahn
- emobilzation to small distal vessels in lung may cause ischemic necrosis of tissue infarct
5 True/False questions
Hypotonic shock → loss of peripheral vascular tone and pooling of blood in dilated peripheral blood vessels
Why are hemorrhages widespread? → major factors PUSHING fluid out of vessel
Paradoxical emboli → emboli that travel from venous arterial circulation via a communication between arterial and venous circulation
Pulmonary Thromboembolism → deep venous thrombi is usual cause; often following immobilization, i.e. bed rest from hospitalization
Clinicopatholgic correlations of shock → (upon autopsy) interal organs are congested and wet from edema; the lungs are 2-3 times heavier. the liver is congested and blood oozes from it. the intestines are dark from blood pooling and wet. the kidneys are swollen, pale, and congested. and the brain is edematous, flattened gyri.