The money, property, or goods a woman brings to the table during Bride Price, which is when a man pays money or property to the future bride's family for the right to marry her. A woman with a high dowry is more sought after then a woman with lesser dowry.
A marriage in which neither partner saw the other until the day of their wedding. (usually in China)
Rules about dating
originally courtship, slow progression of wooing the paernter according to an accepted set of rules from dating to "going steady" to getting married.
Today rules are uncertain - changes : Assertive females, workplace romances, speed dating
physical encounter that allows possible sexual interaction - ranging from kissing to having sex - without commitment. 40 % of women had a least one hook up , 10% had more than six
Functions of dating
Dating is the process of meeting people socially for the purpose of possibly forming an exclusive long-term relationship.
1. Recreation: Fun
2. Companionship: avoidance of isolation
3. Intimacy and sex: discovering romantic and sexual intimacy
4. Mate selection: lasting relationships
5. Socialization: we learn the skills we need to survive as individuals and as members of society
6. Status achievement: social ranking, or the prestige attached to a particular position in society.
their nearness to you in place and time- geographic proximity
marriage between partners of similar education, ethnicity, rage, religion, age, and social class.
p.g. 153, 277
to marry outside of your family group and not practice sex with a sibling
to cultural expectation that a person marries with his or own social group in terms of race, religion, and social class.
Examples of loveless Marriage
Three Stages Filtering Process of Marriage
stimulus value roles
1. Physical attraction
2. Two people compare their individual values -personal goals
3. Roles - two negotiate role compatibility - how they will work together
one sex has more of a limited pool of eligible marriage candidates than others (age)
Types of Cohabitation including Linus blanket cohabitation
cohabitation: living together, as a couple living in an emotional and sexual relationship w/o being married
POSSLQS - People of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters
Linus Blanket: to have someone
Characteristics of cohabiting couples in the US
Independence, Sex, Attitudes, Religion, Low Income, lower in Education
80% under the age of 45
40% have children under the age of 18
Disadvantages of Cohabiting
Lack of commitment
Fewer Legal Rights
Difference in Marriage and Living together
Breakups in College Relationships
"too many differences/values" - 43%
tired of seeing each other 27%
Internet Dating and Safety
three types of dating websites: online, social networks, and online newsgroups
intro services: video dating, marriage bureaus, mail-order bride
advantages: variety, qualities, energy
disadvantages: you dont have nonverbal communication, someone far away, dangerous
Protect your identity until you are read to reveal, start slowly and earn their trust, ask for a photo, talk on the phone, use verification services
Unmarried Couples in the U.S. and other Countries
commitment not as deep - escape hatch
live ins 49% end in 5 years, 20% for marriages
4 to 1000 people in Scandinavia
8.3 per 1000 in the US
Factors Affecting the acceptability of cohabitation
impermanence of marriage
Issues involved in the aftermath of a relationship
Acceptance that its natural, Thoughts of the other person, Self Esteem -
Honesty, Can it be fixed?, Can we be friends?
the process by which a commitment to marriage is developed
1. Race - 95% approve of interracial, 48% have been in them
2. Social Class - mating gradient (refers to the tendency for men to marry downward in class and women to marry upward with respect to age, education, and occupational success.
3. Age -
4. Religion - 90% marry with the same religion
Four Ways of Reacting to a Deteriorating Relationship
1. Neglect Response- "Let It go"
2. The Exit Response - "We have to end"
3. Loyalty - Stick it out
4. Voice - improvement