5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- liberation theology
- Elizabeth Blackwell
- Molly Maguires
- Walt Whitman
- a used by slaves that someday they will be set free.
- b First female graduate of a medical college.
- c gained great support from Second Great Awakening, stressed personal conversion and church democracy
- d nickname for the Irish Miners' Union in Pennsylvania
- e "Leaves of Grass" poet and transcendentalist
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- perfected sewing machine
- Focus of abolitionists on transporting freed blacks to Africa. Established Liberia, with capital Monrovia.
- Plantation Owner, Small Plantation Owner, Yeoman Farmer, Merchant/Industrialist, Overseers, Tenant Farmers, Freedmen, Slaves
- "On Walden Pond" and essay on Civil Disobedience. Opposed slavery, and refused to pay tax for Mexican War.
- (1794) Thomas Paine's anticlerical treatise that accused church to be bad.
5 True/False Questions
Mormons → "Awful Disclosures", alleged horrors in Catholic convents.
Deism → "No Irish Need Apply" signs put in Boston shops
William Lloyd Garrison → Publisher of "The Liberator", favored Northern secession from the South
Amistad → (1839) spanish slave ship seized off coast of Cuba by enslaved Africans aboard. They were tried in court, with John Quincy Adams for their case. Secured eventual release.
Limited Liability → Offered protection for individual investors who cannot be held responsible for more than the value of their individual shares.