← AP US Unit 5 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Edgar Allen Poe
- Isaac Singer
- Oneida Community
- Horace Mann
- a Spread education throughout America
- b perfected sewing machine
- c radical experiment that practiced free love, birth control, and flourished largely because of superior steel products
- d "No Irish Need Apply" signs put in Boston shops
- e "Fall of the House of Usher" writer and poet
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Responsible for the first pieces of American literature
- Publisher of "The Liberator", favored Northern secession from the South
- Transformation from a disaggregated, subsistence economy to a national commercial and industrial network.
- Activist who helped improve conditions of mental patients and criminal rights.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court decision that strengthened the labor movement by legalizing unions.
5 True/False Questions
Nat Turner → A society that focused on Utopian Socialism. It was started by Robert Owens but failed because everybody did not share their fair load of work.
Methodists → gained great support from Second Great Awakening, stressed personal conversion and church democracy
Planter Aristocracy → Plantation Owner, Small Plantation Owner, Yeoman Farmer, Merchant/Industrialist, Overseers, Tenant Farmers, Freedmen, Slaves
Frederick Douglass → United States abolitionist who escaped from slavery and became an influential writer and lecturer in the North
Turnpike → slave drivers who whipped slaves to break their souls and strong will.