5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Cyrus McCormick
- Planter Aristocracy
- Clipper Ships
- Transportation Revolution
- a Plantation Owner, Small Plantation Owner, Yeoman Farmer, Merchant/Industrialist, Overseers, Tenant Farmers, Freedmen, Slaves
- b 19th century transportation innovations. Turnpikes, steamboats, canals, and railroads.
- c Rejected divinity of Christ, emphasized goodness of mankind.
- d Irish immigrant, invented the mechanical reaper
- e Small swift vessels that helped American trade.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Emphasized simple communal living and expected to practice celibacy. Started by Mother Ann Lee.
- Drawn by surveyors to resolve boundaries between Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, symbolized North-South divide over slavery.
- region of Deep South with highest concentration of slaves. Emerged from cotton production.
- antislavery newspaper founded by William Lloyd Garrison, who called for immediate emancipation of all slaves.
- American artistic movement that produced romantic renditions of local landscapes.
5 True/False questions
John J. Audobon → French-descended naturalist, "Birds of America" The Audobon Society was named after him
William Lloyd Garrison → "McGuffey's Readers" hammered lessons of morality, patriotism, and idealism.
ecological imperialism → spoliation of western natural resources through excessive hunting, lodging, mining, and grazing.
Second Great Awakening → "Fall of the House of Usher" writer and poet
Turnpike → "No Irish Need Apply" signs put in Boston shops