5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Nat Turner
- Robert Fulton
- Frederick Douglass
- Neal Dow
- a Rejected divinity of Christ, emphasized goodness of mankind.
- b led Nat Turner's Rebellion in 1831, where Virginia slave revolt resulted in death of 60 whites and raised fear in South of further uprisings.
- c United States abolitionist who escaped from slavery and became an influential writer and lecturer in the North
- d "Father of Prohibitions", Maine Laws, wanted temperance, "10 Nights in a Bar room"
- e invented the steamboat
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Responsible for the first pieces of American literature
- Literary and intellectual movement. Emphasized individualism and self-reliance, each person possesses an "inner light" that can point way to truth.
- nickname for the Irish Miners' Union in Pennsylvania
- Reasoned moral behavior and scientific pursuit of knowledge. Rejected bible and divinity of Jesus, but believed a Supreme Being created the universe.
- Activist who helped improve conditions of mental patients and criminal rights.
5 True/False Questions
King Cotton → A society that focused on Utopian Socialism. It was started by Robert Owens but failed because everybody did not share their fair load of work.
The Liberator → "Father of the Factory System", made first efficient American machinery for spinning cotton thread.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton → Advocate suffrage for women. "Declaration of Sentiments"
Limited Liability → Offered protection for individual investors who cannot be held responsible for more than the value of their individual shares.
Cult of Domesticity → radical experiment that practiced free love, birth control, and flourished largely because of superior steel products