5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Tammany Hall
- Isaac Singer
- Market Revolution
- The Liberator
- a (1789) Powerful New York political machine that drew support from city immigrants, they helped the immigrants with social services.
- b Transformation from a disaggregated, subsistence economy to a national commercial and industrial network.
- c (1839) spanish slave ship seized off coast of Cuba by enslaved Africans aboard. They were tried in court, with John Quincy Adams for their case. Secured eventual release.
- d perfected sewing machine
- e antislavery newspaper founded by William Lloyd Garrison, who called for immediate emancipation of all slaves.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- (1794) Thomas Paine's anticlerical treatise that accused church to be bad.
- first college to teach women and African Americans
- Small swift vessels that helped American trade.
- invented the cotton gin
- Rejected divinity of Christ, emphasized goodness of mankind.
5 True/False Questions
Elias Howe → "Father of Prohibitions", Maine Laws, wanted temperance, "10 Nights in a Bar room"
American Colonization Society → radical experiment that practiced free love, birth control, and flourished largely because of superior steel products
William McGuffey → nickname for the Irish Miners' Union in Pennsylvania
Methodists → gained great support from Second Great Awakening, stressed personal conversion and church democracy
Edgar Allen Poe → Activist who helped improve conditions of mental patients and criminal rights.