5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- a word that has the same or very similar meaning to another word.
- refers to the case when a word has more than one related meaning, for example: foot (part of the body) and foot of the mountain.
- 'finger' is a __________of 'hand' because a finger is part of a hand
- words that have the same spelling but different pron, e.g. a windy road / a windy night
- these are opposites which are mutually exclusive, e.g. male/female. These are ungradable so can't be used with 'very'.
5 True/False questions
Antonym → A word that is opposite in meaning to another one, for example: cold - hot.
lexical set → a form of 'oppositeness', where there is a reciprocal relationship, e.g. buy and sell / lend and borrow
gradable antonyms → A word that is opposite in meaning to another one, for example: cold - hot.
Homonyms → the relationship between words represented by the formula X is a type of Y, as in a mango is a type of fruit. In this case, mango is a _________ of fruit.
homophones → words which have different spelling but the same pron, e.g. won / one