5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Elements of conservatism
- 2nd theory of interest group politics
- political parties
- Interest groups
- a focus on narrow amount of issues, groups interests into a coalition
- b (1960's) negative assessment. elite theory.
-developed by mcConnell, Lindblom
-excessive responsiveness to a dominant interest
-pac-political action committees
-money speaks, contributes more money to campaigns
-gov must be sensitive to the business views bc they control jobs
- c meetings where registered voters go to a place and discuss and debate. then they vote, sometimes they move apart to vote sometimes they dont.
- d more inclined to have an ideology, campaigns for cities, recruits candidates
- e -beliefs and values of the past needs to be conserved and passed on to next generation
-central government is unique, no one else can hold that power
-suspicious of central govt., like state and local power
-economy can fix itself
-more inclined to emphasize liberty
5 Multiple choice questions
- dem and rep gets government money upfront, any others actually have to wait till the end of the election and must get 5% of the popular vote to get compensation.
- first republican candidate, 1856, lost to james Buchanan
- -precursor to gen. elect. campaign
-to get party endorsement for nomination
-more ideological campaign
-different issues raised than in gen. elect. campaign
- 17th&18th century political thinkers (closer to conservative liberalism
5 True/False questions
Group Association → the distribution of the population's beliefs about politics and policy issues
District plan → taken up by 2 states, maine and nebraska,
each state the congressional districts vote and the overall winner gains 2 votes automatically. then each candidate receives votes by district.
alien and sedition act of 1798 → -Family and friends were mostly rep.
-they would debate, listened to their arguments for years
-his new deal liberalism was impeded by parents and other things
-finally identified with rep. in name only
-brothers left dem as well
-Remember rep family and friends were always spirited and animated in debates
-Reagean was civil during debate
open primaries → elections to set party nominees in which only people who have registered in advance with the party can vote for that parties candidates thus encouraging greater party loyalty.
whigs → first elected in 1830, lasted in office for 20 more years, mainly military figures.