5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- alien and sedition act of 1798
- public financing
- District plan
- general election campaign
- United State's Ideology
- a taken up by 2 states, maine and nebraska,
each state the congressional districts vote and the overall winner gains 2 votes automatically. then each candidate receives votes by district.
- b dem and rep gets government money upfront, any others actually have to wait till the end of the election and must get 5% of the popular vote to get compensation.
- c conservative, Lockean liberalism
- d -criminalizes speech that is critical to the gov.
-both madison and jefferson agree it is unconstitutional
-the supreme court doesnt have the power to decide what is constitutional yet
-eventually pass what is called "the virginia and KY compromise"
-serves as a catalyst to provoke a response to those who're in a different party
- e -elected by electoral college
-less ideology, more moderate
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- marxism, facism, communism, socialism
- first republican candidate, 1856, lost to james Buchanan
- elections to select party nominees in which voters are presented with a list of candidates from all the parties. voters can then select some democrats and some republicans if they like.
- -nature of the times
5 True/False Questions
Conservatism → govt. agency, interest groups, and congressional committees. who all end up working in self interest. most people want interest groups to be happy to get bigger budgets
open primaries → elections to set party nominees in which only people who have registered in advance with the party can vote for that parties candidates thus encouraging greater party loyalty.
cognitive component of political socialization → the facts that affect our emotions
1st theory of interest group politics → (1960's) negative assessment. elite theory.
-developed by mcConnell, Lindblom
-excessive responsiveness to a dominant interest
-pac-political action committees
-money speaks, contributes more money to campaigns
-gov must be sensitive to the business views bc they control jobs
affective component of political socialization → acquisition of factual info and the reasoning from those factual elements