5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Political Socialization
- Interest groups
- Reagan Dem. to Rep.
- Major Influences on public opinion
- a family, peer group, schools, media
- b -Family and friends were mostly rep.
-they would debate, listened to their arguments for years
-his new deal liberalism was impeded by parents and other things
-finally identified with rep. in name only
-brothers left dem as well
-Remember rep family and friends were always spirited and animated in debates
-Reagean was civil during debate
- c the process through which a young person acquires political orientations as the grow up, based on inputs from parents, teachers, the media, and friends, lasts from cradle to the grave
- d focus on narrow amount of issues, groups interests into a coalition
- e individuals who think in ideological terms when voting(smallest group), more activists in this group
5 Multiple choice questions
- -campaign resources
-prospects for winning early, caucuses and primaries
- parties run lots of candidates for seats.. they get seats proportional to the percent of the votes they get.
- the distribution of the population's beliefs about politics and policy issues
- The gradual disengagement of people and politicians from the parties, as seen in part by shrinking party identification.
- dem and rep gets government money upfront, any others actually have to wait till the end of the election and must get 5% of the popular vote to get compensation.
5 True/False questions
1st theory of interest group politics → (1960's) negative assessment. elite theory.
-developed by mcConnell, Lindblom
-excessive responsiveness to a dominant interest
-pac-political action committees
-money speaks, contributes more money to campaigns
-gov must be sensitive to the business views bc they control jobs
federal election campaign act of 1974 → -elected by electoral college
-less ideology, more moderate
Elements of liberalism → -beliefs and values of the past needs to be conserved and passed on to next generation
-central government is unique, no one else can hold that power
-suspicious of central govt., like state and local power
-economy can fix itself
-more inclined to emphasize liberty
1st threat to reason → sincerely follow reason, but are short sighted, particular veiws. do not have complete valid knowledge.
2nd theory of interest group politics → focus on narrow amount of issues, groups interests into a coalition