5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- December 7, 1941
- USS Missouri
- El Alamein
- a 1st offensive against Japan lasted 6th month,the battle for Solomon island was a turning point, First US land victory over the Japanese
- b the Japanese emperor formally surrendered on the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.
- c Emperor of Japan during WWII
- d British deny Germany of taking over the Suez Canal, Allied victory in October 1942 led by British general Bernard Montgomery and supported by U.S. tanks that repelled Germans back into Tunisia. They halted German advance in North Africa
- e Date of attack on Pearl Harbor
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Japanese suicide pilots who loaded their planes with explosives and crashed them into American ships.
- Is the name given to the air campaign waged by the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) against the United Kingdom during the summer and autumn of 1940. The objective of the campaign was to gain air superiority over the Royal Air Force (RAF).
- A city in northern France on the North Sea where in World War II (1940) 330,000 Allied troops had to be evacuated from the beaches at Dunkirk in a desperate retreat under enemy fire.
- 'My Struggle' by hitler, later became the basic book of nazi goals and ideology, reflected obsession
- This is the highest point on Iwo Jima and is where five U.S. marines and one navy medic raised the American flag after Iwo Jima was taken away from the Japanese.
5 True/False Questions
The NON-aggression Pact → This treaty stated the Germany would not attack the USSR and the USSR would not attack Germany. The pact freed Hitler to use force on Poland.
The Nazi Party → The political party founded in Germany in 1919 and brought to power by Adolf Hitler in 1933
Tarawa → The last offensive battle of WWII. U.S. Army in the Pacific had been pursuing an "island-hopping" campaign, moving north from Australia towards Japan. On April 1, 1945, they invaded Okinawa. By the time the fighting ended on June 2, 1945, the U.S. had lost 50,000 men and the Japanese 100,000.
Harry S. Truman → City in Japan, the first to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, on August 6, 1945. The bombing hastened the end of World War II. (p. 797)
Imperialism → A strong feeling of pride in and devotion to one's country