← Islam Study Guide Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- why did muhammad and his followers migrate to Yathrib?
- what was one important element that made Cordoba a major cultural center?
- what happened to the last of the umayyad leaders?
- why did the abbisids support the art and learning?
- why were the abbasids such poor leaders?
- a some liked easy living and didnt care a lot about their government duties. they did little to protect merchants from attacks from bandits. thsi hurt trade a lot so they raised taxes. really soon people got tired of the abbasids behavior.
- b it had 70 libraries and the largest one had 400,000 books.
- c because they were very rich and some wanted to display their wealth
- d muhammad had little succsess spreading his beliefs and meccans persecuted the early muslims
- e they were murdered except for abd al-Rahman who escaped and want to spain were he restarted a umayyad dynasty
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- through force
- he was a master at the form of quatrain in poetry
- he wanted everyone to know that he was ready to challenge the power of the Abbasid and Fatimid caliphs
- he was the greatest doctor of all time. he published a 30 volume medical encyclopedia that covered everything from surgery to teeth.
- because they claimed that they were desendents of Fatima, muhammads daughter
5 True/False Questions
why was mecca such an important city? → it was muhammads birthplace and where he was old he was a prophet and where he started preaching. the ka'ba was there
how was the first caliph chosen? → through force
what is the importance of the oases on the peninsula? → nomads interacted with people that lived a settled life there. they would often trade food that they grew for the nomads animals or their animal products.
who was Abu Bakr and what were his achievments? → muhammads father-in-law and trusted friend, became the first caliph. he promised he would closely follow muhammad's example. after muhammad died some people stopped paying taxes and some abbandoned islam. Abu reunited they muslim community by force.
by the 700's what parts of the world did the umayyad empire include? → they were murdered except for abd al-Rahman who escaped and want to spain were he restarted a umayyad dynasty