1. Why did Walter ask Ruth what was wrong with her?
She was kind-of crabby and tired-looking.
2. Why was Ruth upset when Walter gave Travis the money?
They didn't have money to spare. Also, Walter didn't back her up; he undermined her authority as a parent.
3. Who are Willy and Bobo?
They are two "friends" of Walter who want him to go in partners with them in a liquor store.
4. Walter said, "Damn my eggs . . . damn all the eggs that ever was!" Why?
He has been telling Ruth about his dream and she tells him to eat his eggs. He wants to talk and dream of a better life; she wants him to face reality and deal with his present world. This makes him frustrated, makes him feel like she doesn't support him.
5. Who is Beneatha?
She is Walter's sister who wants to become a doctor.
6. Why was Mama getting a check for $10,000?
It was money coming from her husband's life insurance policy.
7. Why did Beneatha say she wouldn't marry George?
She admitted that he was rich, but she thought he was shallow. She liked him well enough to go out with him, but she didn't love him.
8. What was Beneatha's attitude towards God?
She said she did not accept the idea of God -- "there is only man and it is he who makes miracles."
9. What happened to Ruth at the end of Act I Scene One?