← APES - Chp 5 & 15 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Mountaintop removal
- Strip mining
- Greenhouse effect
- Transform Fault
- a Type of surface mining that uses explosives, massive shovels, and even larger machinery called draglines to remove the top of a mountain to expose seams of coal underneath a mountain.
- b When plates slide past one another; Area where the earth's lithospheric plates move in opposite but parallel directions along a fracture (fault) in the lithosphere.
- c The breaking down of rocks and other materials on the Earth's surface.
- d process in which rock and soil are stripped from earths surface to expose the underlying materials to be mined
- e warming that results when solar radiation is trapped by the atmosphere
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Affected by uneven heating of earth's surface by solar energy, seasonal changes in temperature and precipitation, rotation of the earth on its axis, and the properties of air, water, and land.
- Covered with ice and snow except during a brief summer.
- High-elevation forested islands of biodiversity and often have snow-covered peaks that reflect solar radiation and gradually release water to lower-elevation streams and ecosystems.
- Forms from sediment produced when existing rocks are weathered and eroded into small pieces, then transported by water, wind, or gravity to downstream, downwind, or downhill sites.
- Coastal areas support huge cone-bearing evergreen trees (e.g. redwoods and Douglas fir) in a cool and moist environment. Seasonal, sub-zero winter, warm humid summers, rainfall is 75-200cm per year, soil is well developed. Has small and large mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.
5 True/False Questions
Forests → Enough precipitation to support stands of trees and are found in tropical, temperate, and polar regions.
Greenhouse gases → warming that results when solar radiation is trapped by the atmosphere
Igneous rock → a science that deals with the history of the earth as recorded in rocks
Rain shadow effect → warming that results when solar radiation is trapped by the atmosphere
Biome → large terrestrial regions characterized by similar climate, soil, plants, and animals, regardless of where they are found in the world.