5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is the allusion connected with the first black cat's name?
- Why does the narrator kill Pluto?
- What does the narrator first do to the black cat after he comes home drunk one night?
- Why does the narrator originally not kill the black cat?
- How old was Poe when he died?
- a 40
- b He is ashamed of what he did to Pluto. He dreads the cat.
- c Pluto loved him. He knew it was wrong. He knew it was a sin. Pluto did not give him a reason to do it.
- d This was the Roman god of the underworld.
- e He cuts the cat's eye out after the cat bites him.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Puts her in the wall of the cellar
- hints given that tell readers what may happen in the story
- Writing in everyday language; written in paragraphs
- methods used by a writer to introduce or describe characters to readers
- They are black. They are missing an eye.
5 True/False questions
What is a conflagration? → Giving nonhuman things human characteristics
Why did people make fun of the narrator when he was younger? → The cat trips him, and he gets mad. He turns and in a fit of passion kills his wife.
What is a simile? → a comparison using like or as
What does intemperance mean? → abnormal
How does the narrator kill his wife? → He drives an axe in her head.