← "The Black Cat" Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is on the one wall that did not burn of the house?
- Where does the new black cat come from in the story?
- Why does the narrator kill his wife?
- What is an allusion?
- Why does the narrator kill Pluto?
- a Pluto loved him. He knew it was wrong. He knew it was a sin. Pluto did not give him a reason to do it.
- b The cat trips him, and he gets mad. He turns and in a fit of passion kills his wife.
- c a reference that the author expects you to know
- d The cat follows the narrator home from a tavern one night. He was sitting on top of a hogshead.
- e An imprint of a cat with a noose around its neck
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- He drives an axe in her head.
- The white splotch that looks like the gallows--hints that death will find our narrator
- a sudden, unexpected change in a story
- a large fire
- He hangs him from a tree in the garden.
5 True/False Questions
What is the first black cat's name? → We are not told this information.
What is characterization? → methods used by a writer to introduce or describe characters to readers
What does the new cat have on his chest? → The cat trips him, and he gets mad. He turns and in a fit of passion kills his wife.
What was the narrator's name? → Pluto
What does felicity mean? → abnormal