← "The Black Cat" Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is characterization?
- What does the new cat have on his chest?
- Why does the narrator kill Pluto?
- What is a plot twist?
- What is a hogshead?
- a a barrell
- b a sudden, unexpected change in a story
- c methods used by a writer to introduce or describe characters to readers
- d He has a white splotch that is shaped like a hangman's noose.
- e Pluto loved him. He knew it was wrong. He knew it was a sin. Pluto did not give him a reason to do it.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- He hits the wall with his cane, and the cat lets out a horrible sounding scream.
- a reference that the author expects you to know
- The cat trips him, and he gets mad. He turns and in a fit of passion kills his wife.
- He drives an axe in her head.
5 True/False Questions
How does the narrator kill Pluto? → Pluto loved him. He knew it was wrong. He knew it was a sin. Pluto did not give him a reason to do it.
Does our narrator feel guilty for killing Pluto? → Yes
Where does the new black cat come from in the story? → The cat follows the narrator home from a tavern one night. He was sitting on top of a hogshead.
What does intemperance mean? → abnormal
What is on the one wall that did not burn of the house? → An imprint of a cat with a noose around its neck