← "The Black Cat" Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is a plot twist?
- What does the narrator first do to the black cat after he comes home drunk one night?
- What is the allusion connected with the first black cat's name?
- Why did people make fun of the narrator when he was younger?
- How does the narrator kill his wife?
- a a sudden, unexpected change in a story
- b He cuts the cat's eye out after the cat bites him.
- c He was sensitive and tender hearted.
- d He drives an axe in her head.
- e This was the Roman god of the underworld.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Writing in everyday language; written in paragraphs
- The white splotch that looks like the gallows--hints that death will find our narrator
- He hits the wall with his cane, and the cat lets out a horrible sounding scream.
- He begins to drink. He is mean to his wife and animals.
- The cat trips him, and he gets mad. He turns and in a fit of passion kills his wife.
5 True/False Questions
What does intemperance mean? → excesive consumption of alcohol
What happens on the same night that the narrator kills Pluto? → Pluto loved him. He knew it was wrong. He knew it was a sin. Pluto did not give him a reason to do it.
What is a hogshead? → the narrator of a poem
What was the narrator's name? → Pluto
What is foreshadowing? → hints given that tell readers what may happen in the story