5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a At the time of Christs' birth, ____ began to describe the signs of inflammation.
- b British baron and surgeon Sir Joseph ____ pioneered the technique of antiseptic surgery by using carbolic acid (or phenol) to sterilize surgical instruments and clean wounds.
- c Ambroise ____, considered one of the greatest surgeons of the 16th century, began to ligate arteries after amputation. Additionally, he stopped cauterizing wounds with hot irons and oil, instead using a solution of egg yolk, oil of roses and turpentine.
- d Considered the first great anatomist, ____ of Pergamon labored under the "biology made to serve theology" model. This controlled thought remained unchallenged for 1,500 years.
- e French chemist and microbiologist Louis ____ is considered by many the father of microbiology, virology and immunology.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Scientist Edward Jenner, around the year ____ (BC/AD) created the vaccination for smallpox.
- Drs. Denton Cooley and Michael DeBakey were fueling their professional rivalry in the area of cardiac surgery around the year ____ (BC/AD).
- American physician Dr. Harvey ____ is widely known as the father of neurosurgery. His work with meningiomas incredibly reduced the mortality rate from 96% to 5%.
- Andreas ____, considered the father of modern anatomy, challenged Galen of Pergamon openly in regards to the latter's assertion that "biology made to serve theology". The former performed dissections on human cadavers while illustrators kept permanent record of the findings.
- The pump-like function of the heart was described by ____ around 500 A.D.
5 True/False Questions
1900 ad → Scientist Edward Jenner, around the year ____ (BC/AD) created the vaccination for smallpox.
aristotle → British baron and surgeon Sir Joseph ____ pioneered the technique of antiseptic surgery by using carbolic acid (or phenol) to sterilize surgical instruments and clean wounds.
500 bc → In the year ____ (BC/AD), Aristotle establishes an early scientific mindset and is the founder of comparative anatomy.
1850 ad → Around the year ____ (BC/AD), Louis Pasteur was developing a deeper understanding of the causes and prevention of diseases while Sir Joseph Lister was perfecting the antiseptic surgery technique.
1500 ad → Around ____ (BC/AD), Ambroise Pare was gaining notoriety as one of the greatest surgeons of his time while Andreas Vesalius was becoming known as the father of modern anatomy.