5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Minamoto Yorimoto
- Yamato Dynasty
- a a political and social system that developed during the Middle Ages; nobles offered protection and land in return for service
- b Japanese Characters
- c a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
- d The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
- e Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
- Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
- 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
- a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
- Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
5 True/False Questions
Shogun → The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
Ronin → Japanese Characters
Bushido Code → A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
Prince Shotoku → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
Shinto → A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits