5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lady Murasaki
- 17 Article Constitution
- Yamato Dynasty
- a Japanese Characters
- b Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
- c a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
- d A document written by Prince Shotoku written in the Yamato Period which had Buddhist and Confucian influences.
- e Woman given credit for writing the world's first novel, The Tale of Genji.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- Divine Wind that saved the Japanese from the Mongol invasion.
- Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
- type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai
- samurai that lost his Daimyo; they carry great shame and roam about the land.
5 True/False Questions
Heian Period → Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
Daimyo → A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
Emperor Go-Toba → 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
Tale of Genji → story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
Feudalism → type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai