5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Emperor Go-Toba
- Prince Shotoku
- 17 Article Constitution
- a 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
- b A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
- c Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
- d A document written by Prince Shotoku written in the Yamato Period which had Buddhist and Confucian influences.
- e a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
- Japanese Characters
- a Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army of samurai
- Supreme military commander
- Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
5 True/False Questions
Samurai → a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Ronin → samurai that lost his Daimyo; they carry great shame and roam about the land.
Pillow Book → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
Seppuku → Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
Zen Buddhism → a political and social system that developed during the Middle Ages; nobles offered protection and land in return for service