5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Nara Period
- 17 Article Constitution
- Prince Shotoku
- a Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- b A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
- c Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
- d Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
- e A document written by Prince Shotoku written in the Yamato Period which had Buddhist and Confucian influences.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- code of the warrior; obligation to honor & defend emperor, country, and family; willing to volunteer in suicide missions(kamikaze)
- The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
- Supreme military commander
- Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
- Japanese Characters
5 True/False Questions
Kamakura Period → Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
Minamoto Yorimoto → The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
Tale of Genji → story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
Lady Murasaki → a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Pillow Book → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution