5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Minamoto Yorimoto
- Heian Period
- Emperor Go-Toba
- a Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
- b The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
- c a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
- d Divine Wind that saved the Japanese from the Mongol invasion.
- e 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- lady in waiting at the heian court. she painted a vivid picture of life at the heian court in her dairy The Pillow Book
- Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
- A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
- The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
- type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai
5 True/False Questions
Shogun → Supreme military commander
Kamakura Period → Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
Yamato Dynasty → The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
Pillow Book → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
Ronin → Supreme military commander