5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nara Period
- Lady Murasaki
- a Period Spanning from 710-794 A.D. The government consisted of an imperial court with Buddhist priests as a part of the courts. This period was influenced by China with a written writing system and a capital city modeled after the Chinese Capital. Literature became important during this period, and the economy became more structured with minted coins, taxes and a new system of agriculture.
- b Woman given credit for writing the world's first novel, The Tale of Genji.
- c The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
- d a Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army of samurai
- e a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
5 Multiple choice questions
- Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
- code of the warrior; obligation to honor & defend emperor, country, and family; willing to volunteer in suicide missions(kamikaze)
- samurai that lost his Daimyo; they carry great shame and roam about the land.
- The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
- story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
5 True/False questions
Kanji → Japanese Characters
Zen Buddhism → type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai
Prince Shotoku → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
Seppuku → Supreme military commander
Feudalism → type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai