5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Tale of Genji
- a Supreme military commander
- b a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
- c The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
- d a Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army of samurai
- e story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- samurai that lost his Daimyo; they carry great shame and roam about the land.
- A Japanese religion (the original Japanese religion) whose followers believe that all things in the natural world are filled with divine spirits
- A journal written in the Heian period that described court life.
- Japanese Characters
- Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
5 True/False Questions
Bushido Code → code of the warrior; obligation to honor & defend emperor, country, and family; willing to volunteer in suicide missions(kamikaze)
Sei Shonagon → lady in waiting at the heian court. she painted a vivid picture of life at the heian court in her dairy The Pillow Book
Samurai → a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Heian Period → Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
Yamato Dynasty → Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.