5 Written Questions
3 Matching Questions
- Olivier Messiaen
- Ralph Peer
- a T or F: Robert Johnson reportedly made a deal with the devil to emerge as such a great singer, guitarist, and songwriter.
- b the French composer, ornithologist, and teacher, was a prisoner in a German WWII prison camp
- c Fiddlin' John Carson was recorded by talent scout ______ _________, launching the country music record industry.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- is a popular, long-running radio show on KFFA in Helena, AR. It once featured Sonny Boy Williamson and Robert Junior Lockwood.
- who comments in the films is a blind bluegrass musician from Deep Gap, NC
- was found dead in the back of his Cadillac convertible on Jan 1. 1953, after living the hard life he wrote about so well in song.
- is considered the first lady of country music, paving the way for other women in country music.
- T or F: Pinetop Smith played a rollicking guitar style called boogie-woogie.
5 True/False Questions
12-tone technique → Alban berg's compositional style is referred to as ______________, a pre-ordering of the various elements of music
Ernest Tubb → was a baritone singer/songwriter in the honky-tonk style with his Walkin' the Floor Over You.
T → T or F: Duke Ellington, a towering figure in 20th century music, was a pianist, composer, arranger, and employed many of the same musicians in his band for decades.
Mississippi Delta → is called the cradle of the blues
T → T or F: Louis Armstrong had popular appeal, though he contributed little to the actual development of jazz.