5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- war of spanish succession
- the great elector
- treaty of utrecht
- oliver cromwell
- charles I
- a the name given to Frederick William who was on the greatest Hohenzollerns. He reorganized the armies into one strong force and improved tax and encouraged agriculture, industry, and transportation
- b 1713, ended War of Spanish Succession between Louis XIV's France and the rest of Europe; prohibited joining of French and Spanish crowns; ended French expansionist policy; ended golden age of Spain; vastly expanded British Empire
- c English general and statesman who led the parliamentary army in the English Civil War (1599-1658)
- d This was the war between France and Spain in order to unite the two states under one ruler, Phillip V
- e King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (1625-1649). imposed arbitrary powere (coerced freedom, quartered troops) parliment refused to grant him funds, when he needed funds he called parliment back, but the put restrictions on him and gave themselves more power...His power struggles with Parliament resulted in the English Civil War (1642-1648) in which Charles was defeated. He was tried for treason and beheaded in 1649
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- system of merchant-capitalists "putting out" raw materials to cottage workers for processing and payment that was fully developed in England
- After Queen Elizabeth Tudor's death in 1603, the Stuart Line of rulers came. Started with James I, King of Scotland. (Cousin of Elizabeth.) Then came Charles I, his son. Charles II. Then James II. Then William of Orange.
- Russian landholding aristocrats; possessed less political power than their western European counterparts
- 16th and 17th century in Low countries, where dutch landlords and farmers devised better ways to build dukes and to drain land so that they could farm more extensive areas. They also experimented with new crops, such as clover and turnips, that would increase the supplies of animal fodder and relenish the soil.
- a powerful family of German nobles in control of Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, parts of eastern Europe, the Austrian Empire, and the Holy Roman Empire.
5 True/False Questions
time of troubles → followed death of Ivan IV without heir early in 17th century; boyars attempted to use vacuum of power to reestablish their authority; ended with selection of Michael Romanov as tsar in 1613.
steam engine → A machine that turns the energy released by burning fuel into motion. Thomas Newcomen built the first crude but workable steam engine in 1712. James Watt vastly improved his device in the 1760s and 1770s. Steam power was then applied to machinery. (607)
treaty of paris → a french rebellion that was caused by Mazarin's attempt to increase royal revenue and expand state bureaucracy, caused Louis XIV to distrust the state and turn to absolutism
john locke → a french rebellion that was caused by Mazarin's attempt to increase royal revenue and expand state bureaucracy, caused Louis XIV to distrust the state and turn to absolutism
absolutism → a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)